Car mod

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Now, I am confused as to why this thread was closed. The OP obviously mentioned the word car, but his intention was a small circuit.

Obviously, English isn't the OP's native tongue, and car would seem to make sense for a small....a what? not RC car? Should he have called it a RC vehicle? Unless the TIP122 can handle 400A and I am unaware of it, it is clear that the OP wasn't attempting to run his automobile on the circuit provided. In fact, I've seen the circuit before, as he's been asking questions about it for a few days now...

I understand that the moderators have a tough time trying to....moderate, but this one was a little too much, in my opinion...though, it may well be just that...

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
As Bill said, it could be for a real car, and the motor could be for pretty much anything. I 'll PM the OP, however, to ask him about it and advise accordingly.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
And this is why you come with your feedback. It's not clear, so I 'll reopen it and ask for clarification. Thanks!
Well, the OP has already moved on, so the point is moot. :p

I just didn't get why it was shut down with a clear schematic of what the OP was attempting to do...

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Small circuit. Small problem. Small button. Small car. Small thread.

Maybe it was kind of a trike, only with a car-like enclosure on top of it. That was so complicated to explain OP substituted that vehicle with "Small car", for the time being.

A lot of these first time posts require considerable guesswork. So maybe this one too. OP not neccessarily hiding facts on purpose- maybe due to lack of english writing ability.

Attachments

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The thread wasn't closed for at least 24 hours. The OP had ample time to clarify what they were doing, but chose not to return or respond to the questions asked by another member.

Without clarification from the OP, we could speculate in a multitude of directions what the application for that circuit, from model cars on up.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Small circuit. Small problem. Small button. Small car. Small thread.

Maybe it was kind of a trike, only with a car-like enclosure on top of it. That was so complicated to explain OP substituted that vehicle with "Small car", for the time being.

A lot of these first time posts require considerable guesswork. So maybe this one too. OP not neccessarily hiding facts on purpose- maybe due to lack of english writing ability.
Thats not a Trike, theres only one trike and you wiggle your hips to pedal it. This is a nirobi 4 wheeler.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Thats not a Trike, theres only one trike and you wiggle your hips to pedal it. This is a nirobi 4 wheeler.
Was the closest thing that resembles these in DUNE2- Battle for Arrakis. And in that context, for their pixelated worth, they are called "Trike".

These are 3-wheelers, and if I remember right, even the heavyier 4-wheel version also goes as trike.

If on the other hand there is a car-like roof attached, very likely an automotive modification already has taken place.

Or maybe at some time I associated these vehicles with real world trikes. I played it some months ago, but can't remember exactly. They are not of much use anyway. While in real-world, they are quite funny. I don't think they count as car, but one could talk of them like if they were small cars, especially when modified automotively already (where it is unknown if OP is aware of that).

So after all, it could be a trike in disguise! Looks like a small car, but isn't one. Still could be automotive nonetheless. If it is a low-speed battery trike, it rather counts as toy.

If I would be the OP, and even in the case it is a small Mercedes, I would simply present the circuit, and not mention that it it has something to do with cars.

The circuit has automotive purpose, but it not specific such as a navigation lights control, electronic ignition or gasoline burner, or the like.

Last edited:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Again, I ask, how can a 5A motor pull anything, let alone a human, to car like speeds? Even a child couldn't be propelled by this motor.

It seems pretty obvious that this was not intended for automotive purposes, even a small toy car you can ride in.

The thread wasn't closed for at least 24 hours. The OP had ample time to clarify what they were doing, but chose not to return or respond to the questions asked by another member.
Why would the OP clarify when he didn't understand that there was a problem?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I ask, how can a 5A motor pull anything
I didn't see where the OP mentioned a 5A motor. As far as surmizing the motor from the TIP122, it is good except, you don't know if the OP knew the specifications of the TIP122.

absf asked two germane questions.

Nothing prevents you from emailing the OP and providing them the assistance they require.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The thing is, that motor doesn't need to pull the car for the thread to be closed. It would still be out of bounds if it was opening the top hatch or lowering a cup holder.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
The thing is, that motor doesn't need to pull the car for the thread to be closed. It would still be out of bounds if it was opening the top hatch or lowering a cup holder.
True... I guess in that light, the closing is warranted. However, we would all be offering help had he not mentioned the word car...

I'm playing devil's advocate here, I know, it would just suck to be in his situation, trying to find help on his little photovore robot so that he can modify in the spirit of learning and being shut down...if indeed that was the situation.

As far as helping him goes, he's made a new thread with no mention of the word car.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
However, we would all be offering help had he not mentioned the word car...
If they said it was for a robotic project or anything distant from safety issues, the assistance would be there. An RC model car would have been discussed.

It is a tough line as Georacer said. There are just way too many regulations when it comes to automotive, and with consideration this is a world wide resource, the members should not be expected to know them all. I would have never guessed there is a headlight height limitation specific to Texas had I not read about it in the newspaper in an article about an accident. That's just 1/50 of the United States.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Was the closest thing that resembles these in DUNE2- Battle for Arrakis. And in that context, for their pixelated worth, they are called "Trike".

These are 3-wheelers, and if I remember right, even the heavyier 4-wheel version also goes as trike.

If on the other hand there is a car-like roof attached, very likely an automotive modification already has taken place.

Or maybe at some time I associated these vehicles with real world trikes. I played it some months ago, but can't remember exactly. They are not of much use anyway. While in real-world, they are quite funny. I don't think they count as car, but one could talk of them like if they were small cars, especially when modified automotively already (where it is unknown if OP is aware of that).

So after all, it could be a trike in disguise! Looks like a small car, but isn't one. Still could be automotive nonetheless. If it is a low-speed battery trike, it rather counts as toy.

If I would be the OP, and even in the case it is a small Mercedes, I would simply present the circuit, and not mention that it it has something to do with cars.

The circuit has automotive purpose, but it not specific such as a navigation lights control, electronic ignition or gasoline burner, or the like.
Yah their really big in Canada and down here with the older folks.

Six_Shooter

Joined Nov 10, 2012
I've been trying to figure out why automotive discussions are not allowed here, what is the reasoning behind this?

I can understand not wanting to compromise the safety of a vehicle, but there are many electrical and electronics modifications that can be made and installed that don't inhibit safety, and possibly improve upon it.

There is also the aspect that some modifications would not be strictly interfaced by the driver, as mentioned there could be hidden/motorized cup holders, quite possibly in the rear of a vehicle, such as a limo, or SUV, or even for a show only vehicle.

To be honest most of the projects I will be working on for myself are for automotive reasons, be it to use in the vehicle or as a tool to work on, tune, or set-up aspects of the vehicle(s). Any of the ones that I want to build that are not strictly tools are to make operation of the vehicle easier, and by extension safer.

That being said, are there any sites like this one that will allow automotive discussion? I thought when I first found this site, that it would be the type of site I've been looking for until I saw the restriction on automotive related discussions, now I need to find another site, which I hope exists.

I am on a few automotive sites that discuss specific items, like EFI tuning, or interfacing of audio, or repairing/replacing the existing electrics, but none that discuss electronics in it's raw format, with electronics theory to back it up.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I've been trying to figure out why automotive discussions are not allowed here, what is the reasoning behind this?

I can understand not wanting to compromise the safety of a vehicle, but there are many electrical and electronics modifications that can be made and installed that don't inhibit safety, and possibly improve upon it.

There is also the aspect that some modifications would not be strictly interfaced by the driver, as mentioned there could be hidden/motorized cup holders, quite possibly in the rear of a vehicle, such as a limo, or SUV, or even for a show only vehicle.

To be honest most of the projects I will be working on for myself are for automotive reasons, be it to use in the vehicle or as a tool to work on, tune, or set-up aspects of the vehicle(s). Any of the ones that I want to build that are not strictly tools are to make operation of the vehicle easier, and by extension safer.

That being said, are there any sites like this one that will allow automotive discussion? I thought when I first found this site, that it would be the type of site I've been looking for until I saw the restriction on automotive related discussions, now I need to find another site, which I hope exists.

I am on a few automotive sites that discuss specific items, like EFI tuning, or interfacing of audio, or repairing/replacing the existing electrics, but none that discuss electronics in it's raw format, with electronics theory to back it up.
I think it might be because it would be quite easy to turn this forum into an automotive modification forum with it allowed. It would detract from the point of this forum when there is a vast sea of automotive forums...

Six_Shooter

Joined Nov 10, 2012
I think it might be because it would be quite easy to turn this forum into an automotive modification forum with it allowed. It would detract from the point of this forum when there is a vast sea of automotive forums...
I can understand wanting to keep this an electronics forum, which is entirely possible, even discussing automotive modifications, just limit them to electronics projects, there are many sites for mechanical modifications, but not many that I have found that specialize in designing and building the electronics to use in automobiles.

The ban is for safety AND legal reasons. Especially since the site and one of its owners reside in the US, a very court-friendly country.
We do, however allow for any project that plugs into the lighter plug.

You can give a try to this list of sites for automotive questions: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400
Well, pretty much any cigarette lighter powered project is going to be A, almost useless, since in most cases it will simply be lighting, or a heater of some kind, maybe a fan, or B, in my opinion, a safety issue. Many times that means wires and components strewn about the vehicle, interfering with operation. I have worked as an Automotive Electronics Installation Tech (That's the Ontario government's name for the trade) for many years, and to improve on the safety of many consumer "installs" we would permanently install the components behind panels with only the needed HIDs to use the device, and provide proper power.

I'll have a look through those sites, and think I found that list previously, but when I saw "the12volt.com" as the first link I just shook my head. That site is only about interfacing of remote starters, security, and audio, and a few misc other related items, but never have I seen on there involved project design and theory, with people that had any real background in electronics. (Granted it has been a number of years since I perused their forums, but occasionally still use their reference "cheat sheets" when installing RS and security systems.) So at that point I don't really have any faith in finding what I'm looking for in those links, and recognize a few others as being not much more that sites for people with little to no electronics background looking for advice on how to connect those uber cool LED strips they just bought. I hope I'm wrong and find a site similar to this one, but allows the discussion of automotive electronics.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I can understand wanting to keep this an electronics forum, which is entirely possible, even discussing automotive modifications, just limit them to electronics projects, there are many sites for mechanical modifications, but not many that I have found that specialize in designing and building the electronics to use in automobiles.

Well, pretty much any cigarette lighter powered project is going to be A, almost useless, since in most cases it will simply be lighting, or a heater of some kind, maybe a fan, or B, in my opinion, a safety issue. Many times that means wires and components strewn about the vehicle, interfering with operation. I have worked as an Automotive Electronics Installation Tech (That's the Ontario government's name for the trade) for many years, and to improve on the safety of many consumer "installs" we would permanently install the components behind panels with only the needed HIDs to use the device, and provide proper power.

I'll have a look through those sites, and think I found that list previously, but when I saw "the12volt.com" as the first link I just shook my head. That site is only about interfacing of remote starters, security, and audio, and a few misc other related items, but never have I seen on there involved project design and theory, with people that had any real background in electronics. (Granted it has been a number of years since I perused their forums, but occasionally still use their reference "cheat sheets" when installing RS and security systems.) So at that point I don't really have any faith in finding what I'm looking for in those links, and recognize a few others as being not much more that sites for people with little to no electronics background looking for advice on how to connect those uber cool LED strips they just bought. I hope I'm wrong and find a site similar to this one, but allows the discussion of automotive electronics.
Well, what I meant was that if AAC allowed automotive modifications, it very well could end up like "the12volt.com".

How many people want a remote starting car vs. how many people would like to design a MFSK based modulator and encryption methods to fire a relay over a 2.4 GHz radio link? :)