Car headlight bulbs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Eric007, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Eric007

Thread Starter Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Hi All,

There's this car I'm driving when I go to my parents Home but I don't like its headlight.
    I don't see well the road at night but I like driving that car...

So I'm considering buying new H4 bulbs for that car and I did a little Google search for reviews and I found this *Philips X-treme vision H4* so what do you think of this? is it worth buying this or there's something better...

Also I don't know if it is safe to buy that on ebay coz sometimes ebay got some fake stuffs too...

Here's a sample Philips X-treme Vision from ebay

What are your advice?

Nov 30, 2010
    Looks good from here. It's a standard size and legal. If your socket fits it...I say do it.
    Eric007 likes this.
  3. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    be sure it is not a problem of dull plexi.
    car makers have been in the habit of ovrrspraying those lenses with clear coat. Time and age along with years ov UV exposure can cloud up the lenses and make your headlights appear very dim. If you try some of those restore products be sure to remove the remnants of the clearcoat. it will screw up the restorer and cloud over again within a few weeks.
    JohnInTX and #12 like this.
  4. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    I put H4s into my Tahoe and the daughter's Accord. Both had varying degrees of hazy on the lenses. The H4s produced a small but noticeable improvement in color, brightness and coverage. After trying some of the restore products on the lenses, I replaced the Accord headlight units with will-fits from Ke-tech. I didn't know about the clearcoat issue and experienced Kermit's re-clouding. New lenses + H4s proved way better than stock. They've been on for 2 years and still bright and clear. I'd get the bulbs from a reputable source and don't touch the glass when installing.

Just my .02
    Eric007 and #12 like this.
  5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I throw an HID kit into every car I've even owned (6500K or 8000k)..
    Literally night and day difference..
    You can pick up the HID kits w/bulbs for as little as $30 now..
    Installation is just plug/play..

(note.. I also have projector type headlights in all these cars as an HID kit in a regular headlight can be bright for on coming drivers..)
    JohnInTX likes this.
  6. picbits

Jan 28, 2008
    A couple of things to check.

As above, make sure the headlight lens is not yellowed or discoloured. A cloudy headlight will rapidly diffuse most of your light output.
    Check the voltage at the battery and the voltage at the bulb with the engine running. Many cars with older wiring can lose a couple of volts at the headlights. If you have more than a volt of drop, consider uprating the wiring and/or adding a relay.
    Lastly, consider the better bulbs - I used to sell the Osram Silverstar bulbs which were quite good but the Philips bulbs are also worth looking at - they will give a brighter (but still legal) light output, often with a better focus so more light ends up on the road.