Car audio, what's in your ride?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electronics' started by nsaspook, Jul 3, 2015.

1. nsaspook

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
  2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Wow, pretty impressive. Last time I did a car audio project I was in highschool ('03). The audio/electronic portion wasn't nearly as cool as yours, but it was more "pimp my ride" flavor (before "pimp my ride" was a thing). My pickup had the "work truck" vinyl flooring and I installed carpet in it. I built a custom center console between the bucket seats and used the leftover carpet to cover the center console. The console had leather arm rests, and the CD player/EQ was inside under a hidden door. below that was the amp. I left the factory head unit in the dash to dissuade break-ins. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, as I don't think it was yet common for one to photo-document everything that they do.

3. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    I try to photo-doc just about every project, its a habit I picked up long ago. First, so I can remember what I did a few years later, second to help others and mostly because it's a cool thing to do. I'd like to do a upgrade but that years Kenwood was the last year they had 24/96 DVD-Audio 5.1 in a car unit. I love the sound and have a collection of priceless (to me) music for it. I'm guessing my next car project will be a Android replacement for it if I can find a plugin or app to play DVD-A iso files.

4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    oh of course! I do it all the time, too, now. But 12 years ago, pictures costed money, and I didn't have any. ...well, I had some, but apparently it was better spent on undocumented automotive mods.

nsaspook likes this.
  5. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I had an Amstrad radio cassette - but the Reliant van I put it in didn't have much in the way of bulkhead between the dashboard and engine bay.

One of several engines threw up all over it - it got put on a shelf in the shed intending that I would open it up and degrease it someday, but I had to de-clutter and it wasn't one of the things I bothered to rescue before the scrap man came.

6. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Well this thread attracted a lot less replies than I expected. Too bad @thatoneguy isn't around anymore. He would have contributed at least one whole page of replies.

7. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    I use to build custom systems and right now I have a OEM speakers with a Sony Headunit .. I am looking to upgrade my wife's Ford Escape speakers cause someone installed a JVC unit and now only the passenger side speakers work..

8. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    I've got whatever came with the car (Toyota Corolla), off the production line. Hardly ever use it :).

9. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I just hum to myself. My radio is crap.

10. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    Is the radio shot or something and have you considered fixing it??

11. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    Time for upgrades? A simple adapter lets you stream music via FM or aux input from the phone or tables internal drive.

12. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I just don't listen to music that much anymore. I think everything since about 1980 is crap. In other words, all my favorite artists are dead.

13. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    +1, that's why I have my entire music collection in the car in hi-rez digital formats.

14. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I sold my collections when I couldn't play my LP's anymore

15. nsaspook

Aug 27, 2009
    Too bad, still have my old Technics SL-5 linear tracker to transfer new 'old' music.

16. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Nah. Like I said, I hardly ever use it. I need all my concentration on local traffic conditions!