Car audio at home?

LaZyLuke

Joined May 10, 2009
If you are just powering the head unit and that's it, then the 2 wires (Probably 18 gauge) should be ok, since the 2 wires combined are probably larger than the power wire of the head unit (most likely 16 gauge). But I would still put an inline fuse on it.
yes you are correct about the size but i still need to connect an acc.... i don't need fuses cuz the PS has an internal relay that I have recently tested :rolleyes:... I was just thinking that I could connect the 2 wires to the main power and connect one of the remaining yellow wires to the acc since acc doesn't really use power...

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
yes you are correct about the size but i still need to connect an acc.... i don't need fuses cuz the PS has an internal relay that I have recently tested :rolleyes:... I was just thinking that I could connect the 2 wires to the main power and connect one of the remaining yellow wires to the acc since acc doesn't really use power...

That should work just fine, except if you turn off the psu, the head unit wont retain preset stations and other memory related settings. Too bad it wasn't 5 volts for the memory, then you could use the purple wire coming out of the psu (5 volt stand by power) to power the memory when the psu is off...

LaZyLuke

Joined May 10, 2009
That should work just fine, except if you turn off the psu, the head unit wont retain preset stations and other memory related settings. Too bad it wasn't 5 volts for the memory, then you could use the purple wire coming out of the psu (5 volt stand by power) to power the memory when the psu is off...
I bough bunch of AA batteries that im planing on connecting in series to get 12v and hook it up to a switch which will switch the PS voltage to the batteries for the main power... we will see if it will work to keep the presets and for how long lol... they were only $4 for 16 of them...(the batteries wont be connected at all to the circuit when the PS is on...)

P.s. I cranked the voltage on the PS to 12.8V... gives nice output... the only thing im working on now is fixing the cooling system of the headunit (i got it for free and its mangled cuz somone tried to steal it... the AUX still works and the radio just the cd is screwed up... but i dont need that at home anyway)... all i have to do is replace the small fan ;]

Last edited: