Car alternator to DC motor

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Mchael1919, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Mchael1919

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I have an old car alternator , is it possible to convert it to DC motor which will have permanent magnets on the rotor , I have seen on the Internet so that it can work in the generator mode , can and in motor mode ?

The stator's coil acting in bad condition, all three wires are breaking with the coil , I soldered them , can it will be able to do correctly. I questioned a diode , coil and the place where the soldered, and it shows that OK. I'm all that disassembled and pulled out, and when connect stator to the battery , there is no magnetic force of attraction , put the rotor in, or other ferometal and no attractive, whether it is a bad sign , whether there should be a force of attraction, I still don't have magnets and ask from this reason?

BLDC is probably a better option , but for me, more complicated and more expensive, I also damaged the rotor's coil.

I am sorry for my bad english. Greetings

2. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    A DC motor has a commutator to connect the rotor coils differently as it rotates whereas an alternator has simple slip rings to connect to the rotor coil but offers no switching action. An alternator could use a permanent magnet rotor but car alternators use a coil to generate the magnetic field.

No, a car alternator cannot be used as a DC motor though its starter motor could be used as a dynamo.

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    PM on the rotor will require electronic commutation of the stator coils, essentially making it a BLDC.'
    Max.

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Only if P.M. field, the older series shunt wound starter does not make a good generator.
    You would need to exercise the field.
    Max.

5. AlbertHall

Jun 4, 2014
    Older (OK, ancient) car dynamos used a wound field and were self-exciting like current alternators.

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Ancient?? in the 2000's they still use series motors? they exhibit the most torque at low rpm.
    You were not talking 'Dynamos' but Starters.
    They were not self exiting, being series motors, the same current flows through both armature and field .
    Max.