Capactior Voltage Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyWDJr

Joined Mar 8, 2012
Hello Gents,

Quick question, you have a circuit with a Vs of 120Vrms (170pkpk). If the complete circuit consists of the voltage source and two caps in series would you be able to use 100V rated caps? I am trying to find out if the voltage limit of series caps is double/halved etc. Also if the same applies to caps in parallel.

Thanks,
Tony D.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Caps in series add their voltage ratings but you have to allow for leakage currents by adding shunt resistors to make sure they share the voltage equally. But then you lose the absolute isolation factor, if that matters in that particular circuit.

Caps in parallel do not add their voltage ratings, and this site does not allow circuits that are connected directly to the wall outlet. I'll expect the moderators to swarm on this quickly.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Swarm is harsh, but I guess it will do. I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service

This is not a punishment, please feel free to post on any other issues you would like to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.