Capacitors values

erich_7719

Joined Oct 14, 2009
Just a general question...

I you had to make a list of the most commonly used values of Electrolytic and ceramic disc capacitors, what would those values be? And what general purpose would they serve? Ie…1pF decoupling.

Thank you in advance

erich_7719

Joined Oct 14, 2009
I guess that I was looking more for a preference of which values get used the most. I do not want to buy a bunch of caps I may never use but would rather buy those that would have a higher likeliness of being used, for general experimentation.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A lot depends on type of electronics that you are interested in, digital, audio, rf,hi V. For digital & GP , all in uF. .01, .1, .5, 1, 4.7, 10, 20, 100, 1000; all @ 25V.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
For capacitors, you should use some value inside the E6 range (1.0, 1.5, 2.2, 3.3, 4.7 and 6.8), since those values are more common to be found, and preferred by retailers (most capacitors sold out there have 10% tolerance). As for decoupling (digital and analog ICs) I normally prefer 100nF polyester capacitors (one per IC). On power amplifiers, I normally use a 100uF electrolytic capacitor paralleled with a 100nF polyester capacitor for decoupling, unless otherwise noted (that is, if the datasheet requires a different value to be used).

100nF is a preferred value for decoupling, but some folks prefer using something as low as 10nF, which is fine in most cases.

Last edited by a moderator:

erich_7719

Joined Oct 14, 2009
Thank you both, for your advice just one last question. For the most basic power supply (either 5 or 12V), IE... transformer, couple Caps, Positive regulator, couple more caps.

Would 1000uF electrolytic followed by a 4.7uF Disk be sufficient?

Attachments

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
A regulator usually won't require a polyester capacitor at it's input (as it is not very sensitive to fast transients), only if it is 3 inches away from the main filter capacitor (the LM78XX series requires a 330nF poly cap at the input if that is the case). And the capacitance of the main filter capacitor pretty much depends on the ripple voltage you want and the current demanded. Use the formula for a full wave rectifier:

C = I / (2 * f * Vripple), being f the mains voltage frequency

At the regulator output, simply use a 100nF poly cap. The electrolytic is not needed.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Take the good advise you get here on A.C.C. ,if your go to a capacitor
site you want see anything that you reconize.They show you ball point
pen tip among small metal shapes that you would not have a clue what
you are looking at.They want you to know the part no- or value.