Capacitor

Manasakrishna

Joined Sep 7, 2010
According to the equation Xc=1/2(pi)fC capacitor should behave as a closed circuit for DC current.But if it were so it could never be charged using DC current,because current doesn't pass through it if resistane is infinity.

Also I have not understood how a capacitor can separate DC component from AC component when it is used in amplifier circuits.

Please help.

Thank you. :)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The impedance equation shows what the resistance would be at a given frequency.

The plates of the capacitor do not touch, so when DC is applied, a short burst of current does flow through the capacitor, as the edge of a square wave is essentially a very high frequency component, high frequencies do pass through capacitors easier.

Caps block DC, they are used in input stages of an amplifier to remove any DC bias from an incoming AC signal so the signal can be "re-biased" to match the amplifier. On the output of the amp, there is a "decoupling cap", which removes any DC bias the amplifier may have added to the signal.

Please read our e-book on Capacitors Here for a better understanding.

Last edited:

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
\(Xc=\fra{1}{2pifC}\)

This equation is valid only for steady state conditions. During transients use the following equation:

\(i=C\fra{dV}{dt}\)

steinar96

Joined Apr 18, 2009
Manasakrishna, what you need to keep in mind is that many assumptions are simply to avoid unneeded mathematics. These are approximations which are quite good when they can be applied.

For example, when you turn on your DC circuit then for the first mili or microseconds your circuit is not composed of DC current but AC currents while the circuit is charging towards "steady state". This brief moment is referred to as transient response when the circuit is "setting" itself up to a point where it's working as it was designed to.

During this time capacitors see "changing voltages" where they charge themselfs up.

Manasakrishna

Joined Sep 7, 2010
I thank you for answering my question.But I am still uncertain about the thing that current does flow in simple circuit of capacitor connected to a DC source which is contradicted by theoretical value of impedance being infinity.It is true that current doesn't flow across the capacitor plates but it does flows in external circuit.So how can impedance be infinite?

RickH

Joined Dec 10, 2010
Capacitance is easily compared to a balloon, Voltage being the air pressure and Air volume being the current. When Voltage is applied to the capacitor, like others have said their is a transient voltage being applied so it is changing from 0 to Vcc. This in essence is like applying air pressure to a balloon the air fills the balloon as it exceeds the surrounding pressure. it then comes to a steady state when their equalized. The reactance being the tention on the balloon slows the air flow down as equalization happens.

This is not how it really works but just a simple visual demonstration.