Capacitor - where can I get this one?

b1u3sf4n09

Joined May 23, 2014
Does it matter that they arent the same physical size???
Based on the previous discussion, you should be fine. Given the age of the original cap, the size difference is probably due to advances in capacitor manufacturing processes. Compare an aluminum capacitor from 10 years ago to one made this year, and you'll see what I mean.

Tbert

Joined Oct 4, 2014
So the length of the legs are not a consideration either?

(Per BR-549's post #21 stating to "solder new ring connectors to same length as old"??)...

Last edited:

b1u3sf4n09

Joined May 23, 2014
As long as the connectors will reach once on, you should be fine. Lead length is much more critical for radio frequencies. Get as close as you can get, but don't sweat it if it's not exact.

Tbert

Joined Oct 4, 2014
Ok thanks guys, i got interrupted last night and couldn't get back to it...hopefully I'll get it done tonight.

What's the 'correct' soldering procedure? Is it "necessary", (it doesn't look like the OEM cap terminals were soldered?), should I crimp first-then solder, or vice versa? I'd hate to re-do this in 3 mos!

You guys are great!

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
I though you wanted to solder them to the tightening bolts:D.You can solder some wires to the legs if they aren't long enough.

Here are some videos:

Tbert

Joined Oct 4, 2014
Ok, i got it to fit. You guys are right, it was a job for small hands - but i got 'er done any way. I chose to flip it around so it wouldn't contact the busbar like it seemed to before. There are no moving parts within 6" of it any way. Any suggestions?

image.jpg

Thanks for all your help. I literally couldn't have done it without your input. Let's just say, the response from the Miller board was underwhelming...great for welding advice - not so much on the technical repair side.

This forum rocks!