capacitor voltage!

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
But all this was only meant to be background explanation to the OP.

The hefty input cap shown is only necessary when the IC forms part of an integrated car audio system. The virtual earth of the amp will be at about half rail, which we haven't been told. Neither have we been told what will be feeding into this amp.

I still maintain a non polarised cap is more appropriate (and conventional) in this position in a general purpose amp, for the second of the above reasons.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I agree with you studiot. It is generally a better practice to use non-polarized capacitors when AC coupling between audio amplifier stages.

hgmjr

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I would further hazard a guess that the 16 volt capacitor whcih silverthunder has is an aluminium electrolytic and the 3v cap proposed by the manufacturer is a Tantalum variety. Tantalums are known for their improved audio performance over aluminium at low voltage.

Looking at ST's other posts I would guess he is going to make the circuit board shown in the manufacturers literature, I posted.

Is he trying to make a room amp or an auto amp?

For a room amp I would guess that the input will be floating between 6 and 9 volts.
The input from a preamp in this situation may well be at 0 - 1 volt DC, in which case the voltage across the input capacitor will be somewhere between 5 and 9 volts.

In this case a 3volt cap will be inadequate!

aj_silverthunder

Joined Jun 6, 2009
I would further hazard a guess that the 16 volt capacitor whcih silverthunder has is an aluminium electrolytic and the 3v cap proposed by the manufacturer is a Tantalum variety. Tantalums are known for their improved audio performance over aluminium at low voltage.

Looking at ST's other posts I would guess he is going to make the circuit board shown in the manufacturers literature, I posted.

Is he trying to make a room amp or an auto amp?

For a room amp I would guess that the input will be floating between 6 and 9 volts.
The input from a preamp in this situation may well be at 0 - 1 volt DC, in which case the voltage across the input capacitor will be somewhere between 5 and 9 volts.

In this case a 3volt cap will be inadequate!

guys i am using this amplifier to amplify the weak signals from TDA7000,i think its audio output will be 75mV,so if the input capacitor capacitor value is 2.2μF(16V),i think there will be no problem!
what do u say!!!!

aj_silverthunder

Joined Jun 6, 2009
guys i am using this amplifier to amplify the weak signals from TDA7000,i think its audio output will be 75mV,so if the input capacitor capacitor value is 2.2μF(16V),i think there will be no problem!
what do u say!!!!

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
what do u say!!!!

LOOK,TRY IT YOURSELF AND LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS, how many threads are you going to start about the same question??????

Do you have any clue as to what you are trying to accomplish??

16 Volt cap to replace 3 volts should be OK except for when used in AUDIO applications.... AND SINCE YOU ARE BUILDING AN RF DEVICE STICK TO THE SCHEMATICS AND BILL OF MATERIALS IT CALLS FOR!!!!

My LAST .02