Capacitor value

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Is it possible to discover a capacitor's value without clear markings?

Is there some type of measurement I can do with a voltmeter?

I have a small blue cap, with the numbers 104 on the side, and I want use it to set up a parallel RC circuit, to re-create a lab we have done at school.

Thanks,
Gary

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A LOT of newer DVMs have capacitance meters as a feature, but I don't think that is what you're talking about, is it?

104 is 10000pf, or .01µF.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Is it possible to discover a capacitor's value without clear markings?
Yes, it can be measured.

Is there some type of measurement I can do with a voltmeter?
Yes, some methods can use a voltmeter, but not a voltmeter alone. You can use an AC sinusoidal voltage source with an RC circuit. O-scopes are better to use however.

I have a small blue cap, with the numbers 104 on the side, and I want use it to set up a parallel RC circuit, to re-create a lab we have done at school.
OK, good luck! By the way, the 104 is a clear marking of the capacitor value. - Just in case you didn't realize that.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Well yes if you had a sufficiently large value resistor, in relation to the capacitor, you could measure the charge and/or discharge with your voltmeter and your wristwatch.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Thanks Bill,
I suppose that is what I'm talking about, but I don't have a meter with that ability.

I have an Oscilliscope, a benchtop Fluke meter, and an old Function Generator.

Might I be able to apply a voltage, get a reading, and do some math to help me identify it?

Thanks,
Gary

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
By clear, I meant discernable. I have others that specify their unit of measure, such as 10 micro farad, 50 v, etc.

Do you think that would work with a low voltage?
I'm looking at a 8.78 V ac power supply, with a 4.7K resistor, and a capacitor (I thought the smaller the better?).

Gary

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Forgive me for not reading Bill's reply completely.

Thanks Bill (and everyone).

I will read and print this off later.

The answer of 1 micro farad is what I needed.

Gary

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
Is there a way to guestimate what components would be necessary to make up a reasonable test circuit?
For example:
My AC Power supply is only 8.78 V AC
The Frequency if 60 HZ
The capacitor is .01 micro farads
The resistor is 4.637K Ohms

In solving, I'm getting some weird answers
XC = 265 K
IR = 1.91 mA
IC = 33.1 micro A
IT = 1.91 mA
Z = 4.59 K
PC = 263 K
PR = 4.59 K
PT = 4.59 K
Phase = 992???
P.F. = 1

What component would work best?
I have a wide range of resistor sizes to choose from, a few capacitors, and not many choices on voltage / frequency?

Thanks, Gary