Capacitor replacement, pedal project

cllvt

Joined Jan 21, 2005
Hi,

I am working on some modifications to a guitar effects pedal. It requires replacing a number of capacitors, some of the polarized electrolytics. Is there any reason that I cannot (assuming size is not a problem) replace these with (non-polarized) poly film caps?

I searched, and did not find anything that suggested I should not do this, but I am having some problems with the mod and wanted to verify this. If it makes a difference or anyone is interested the schematic is here:

http://www.godiksennet.com/images/sch/DS1PG2.jpg

and the specific caps are C2, C5, C8, C9, C14

Any info appreciated. Thanks,
Chris

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Capacitors in a small physical size over about 2.2uF/50V in value/rating are usually only available as electrolytic or tantalum.

The polariztion is a (usually undesireable) side effect of electrolytic capacitors, using non-polarized isn't an issue if some part of the design doesn't expect the higher ESR of an electrolytic.

cllvt

Joined Jan 21, 2005
Capacitors in a small physical size over about 2.2uF/50V in value/rating are usually only available as electrolytic or tantalum.

The polariztion is a (usually undesireable) side effect of electrolytic capacitors, using non-polarized isn't an issue if some part of the design doesn't expect the higher ESR of an electrolytic.
Thanks, I appreciate the quick reply. I did find a shorted capacitor (C10) and replaced that, but still have some problems I guess. Back to the schematics.
Chris