Capacitor Recharging/Discharging Device

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by DRock, Sep 18, 2012.

1. DRock

Thread Starter Member

May 7, 2011
    Hey,

I want to build a device that charges a capacitor to full and then will discharge when a switch is held. I want it to detect when it discharges and make it so it will not discharge again till it is storing max energy and then repeat that cycle for as long as a switch is held. I am curious about a couple solutions...I think the easy way would be to use a PICAXE but is there another way to do this with just circuitry?

Thanks for any help!

2. JDT

Feb 12, 2009
    My first thought is: why? My second thought is: what do you mean by "full"?

It's not a battery.

If by "full" you mean up to the supply voltage - well, of course, it never actually gets there. It charges asymptotically. But it will be getting fairly close after about 5CR.

And the same principal is true when it discharges. See:-
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capchg.html#c1

I think you could do what you want with 2 comparators and a bistable. Very similar to the internal workings of a 555. But with the charge and discharge thresholds set to say 95% and 5% of the supply voltage. Or possibly by detecting the charging and discharging currents through a resistor - when it falls to a sufficiently low value consider it "there".

3. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
  4. DRock

Thread Starter Member

May 7, 2011
    It is for an experiment, I have a mouse problem in my shed and I want to put a strip on the ground near where I think they are getting in and zap them with a non-lethal dose of electricity. I don't want it to kill them so that is the reason for the interval but I am hoping it will cause them to turn 180 and go back where they came from...the alternative is using traps and killing them.

I am not sure how to do it with a 555...I think that would be the easier way because I could just size up the capacitor and/or batteries to make up for the 2/3 charge.