Capacitor Question

Joeyv

Joined Mar 2, 2013
I have what appears to be a capacitor. So my question 1 is whether it is or not a capacitor. Question 2 is if it doesn't have a + or - then I will assume it's not polarized. Question 3 is How can I tell what voltage was being applied? (VOM?)

I'll try and explain the size it's rectangle in size 1 1/8' long 3/4' high and 3/8' deep. The bottom looks like it's silicon filled (shinny). It was on a circuit board which was used for an a/c pump. The pin broke off so I need to solder on a new one.
I'm waiting for a meter which I ordered on line to measure and make sure it's a capacitor but I'm pretty sure it is.

Here is what I can make out reading the top of the capacitor :
I'm assuming the top row is the model # but I can't find it anywhere !
M103383253 524
2u2 K 400 U7
Thanks for any help you can give me...Joey

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Feedback and Suggestions Forum for providing feedback and suggestions about All About Circuits, including corrections to the e-book. This forum is not for getting help with technical questions.
This was neither feedback nor a suggestion, so I have moved it to a more appropriate forum.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I agree that it is probably a 2.2uF 400V capacitor. Capacitor markings have a long, interesting, and rather perverted history, so it is hard to guess what the K and U7 might be. They might indicate manufacturer or they might indicate temperature coefficient or some other grading.

A quick search leads me to believe that the K might mean a 10% tolerance. But I'm far from certain of that.