Capacitor Question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Joeyv, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Joeyv

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I have what appears to be a capacitor. So my question 1 is whether it is or not a capacitor. Question 2 is if it doesn't have a + or - then I will assume it's not polarized. Question 3 is How can I tell what voltage was being applied? (VOM?)

I'll try and explain the size it's rectangle in size 1 1/8' long 3/4' high and 3/8' deep. The bottom looks like it's silicon filled (shinny). It was on a circuit board which was used for an a/c pump. The pin broke off so I need to solder on a new one.
    I'm waiting for a meter which I ordered on line to measure and make sure it's a capacitor but I'm pretty sure it is.

Here is what I can make out reading the top of the capacitor :
    I'm assuming the top row is the model # but I can't find it anywhere !
    M103383253 524
    2u2 K 400 U7
    Thanks for any help you can give me...Joey
  2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    This was neither feedback nor a suggestion, so I have moved it to a more appropriate forum.
  3. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Sounds like a polypropylene film cap. 2.2uF 400V, the K may be Kemet brand?
  4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I agree that it is probably a 2.2uF 400V capacitor. Capacitor markings have a long, interesting, and rather perverted history, so it is hard to guess what the K and U7 might be. They might indicate manufacturer or they might indicate temperature coefficient or some other grading.

A quick search leads me to believe that the K might mean a 10% tolerance. But I'm far from certain of that.