capacitor or condensor!!!!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by onlyvinod56, Nov 9, 2008.

1. onlyvinod56

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Hi everyone.
    i have a doubt about the capacitors.
    I heard about ceramic(disc shape) capacitors and electrolytic capacitors(condensers). what is the difference between these two?
    There is no polarity restriction for disc shape capacitors, but there for condensers. mostly the disc shape capacitors are available in PFs. But the others are mostly available in micro farads. Can i use same rating disc type in place of electrolytic?

thank you.

2. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
  3. onlyvinod56

Oct 14, 2008
    Hi
    i read the article.
    still had a doubt. Can i use a polarized capacitor in place of a unpolarized cap?
    Another case, consider a filter capacitor at the output terminals of a rectifier. A 1000microfd capacitor is used to make it ripple free. What will happen if an unpolarized cap is used?
    thanQ

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Only if proper polarity for the polarized cap is maintained, if ESR (equivalent series resistance) is not a consideration, and the temperature and working voltage ratings are taken into consideration.
    You may have an insurmountable challenge finding a non-electrolytic 1000 uF capacitor. You could make up a bank of several smaller caps in parallel, but such would become both expensive and tedious.

6. onlyvinod56

Oct 14, 2008
    thanQ bertus & thingmaker3.