Capacitor Model Number?

blah2222

Joined May 3, 2010
Hi, so my uncle dropped off a bunch of spare parts for me to play around with and a lot of them were ceramic capacitors.

I know I can check, (through time constants), what the capacitance values roughly are, but I'm wondering if anyone can just help me out based on what is written on them.

The following that I have are:

ERIE Z5V .05Z 100V
ERIE Z5U .05Z 50V
Nichicon .01M Z5U
Nichicon .0015M Z5U
3R Y5U .05Z 25V
X5R .002M 300V

If anyone can help me out with some capacitance values that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
JP

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Google could do it much faster and easier than we can. Have you tried typing "capacitor markings", or "capacitor codes" into google?

I will warn you there are more schemes for marking caps than for almost any other type of electronic component, be prepared for the shear amount of info you will find

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Chances are they're all ceramic discs since I see those temperature codes listed like Z5U - ceramics were about the only caps they bothered to add that rating to.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Most ceramics are in the nanofarad to picofarad range. MFD typically means uF, so 0.05MF = 0.05uF = 50nF

Though standard convention is caps are referred to as uF, fractions of uF or in picofarads.

DonQ

Joined May 6, 2009
Though standard convention is caps are referred to as uF, fractions of uF or in picofarads.
Ohhh... Thank you so much for that! I'm 'bout tired of hearing about nano-Farad capacitors. I've actually seen about as many of them as I've seen mega-meters! Some things are so -- simply because.