Capacitor marking question.

stts

Joined Oct 10, 2013
Trying to fix an inverter from a generator. Its got what Im thinking are polypropylene caps that all need replaced. The solvent that broke up the potting has destroyed them. New caps have DC voltage ratings and AC voltage ratings. But Im not sure what the old cap markings mean. They say "250V~Y3/X2". Does anybody know if this is an AC voltage rating or DC? I have found 1000 volt Polypropylenes that show they are derated for 250VAC in their data sheets. But I can also find 250VDc Polypropylenes. Its that dang tilde character they use. I dont know if its ment to show AC or just a convenient seperator they used at this time. I dont see tildes "~" used much. And what about that Y3/X2? I cant find any discussion of this on the internet.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this confussion. :)

stts

Joined Oct 10, 2013
Ahh, safety caps. That would explain it. Only a few have the AC looking tilde and theres many cap manufacturers in the unit. I was thinkin it was just a makers prefrence. But I looked up safety caps in Panasonics line up and I found one with the same markings. Thanks for turning me on to that. :)