capacitor identification

Decepticon

Joined Mar 30, 2009
I have a graphics card (Evga Geforce 9500gt) that has had a capacitor 'ripped' off of it. I am trying to identify the codes on it as I am not familiar with the new codes - which is what I am assuming this is.

On the top of the silver can:

Logo?: An 'F' with a line above and below it
853b

I have figured from searching the 331 that this is a 330pF @ 16v. The polarity is marked with an orange 'stripe' on one side of the top of the can. I am pretty sure I can replace it with a standard 330pF 16v cap but I want to see if anyone on here can identify the manufacturer. I would rather get the exact cap than replace it with one of another manufacturer just to be safe. OR if you think I can replace it with another of the same spec...let me know.

I will post a pic once I get home and use my decent digital camera.

Thanks!

DonQ

Joined May 6, 2009
Your reading of the "codes" sounds right, but it is uncommon to have a polarized capacitor of 330pF. Usually, polarized starts somewhere around 0.1μF (104 -> 100000pF).

Were you able to find any 331@16V capacitor? I don't think I've ever seen such a thing. Are you sure it's not a 334 with the 4 not showing up well? That would make more sense.

When you have the right values, getting from the same mfg is not needed. You just need to check that the physical dimensions are also correct. The same value capacitor can come in many different physical sizes.

Decepticon

Joined Mar 30, 2009
Attached are pics of the cap. The first two are the cap in question. The second two are the other caps on the board for reference. I assumed the 16 was 16v when I compared it to the other smaller caps that have the 2.5v. And that is definitely a 331.

Attachments

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
That looks like a 330uF 16Volt electrolytic to me.

I think you will find that for electrolytic capacitors the number code refers to uF where as for ceramic, film etc the code refers to pF.