Capacitor ID

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by markj, Dec 31, 2011.

1. markj

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Sorry to repeat this past 2009 question but the project has came up again.
    Can any one help me with the identification of a capacitor I need to replace on a automotive control pannel. 12 V

It has what looks like an H logo on the top followed by the ref 2096 then underneath in smaller letters 9845 which could be the date of manufacture.

A recomended alternative would be great:)

ie

H

Its coloured orange/red approx 15mm in diameter
    the panel was built buy Delco Electronics England

Cap.jpg

Thanks

Mark

2. EB255GTX

Apr 30, 2011
    Looks like it could be a MOV... Can you show more of the PCB? What's the reason you want to replace this part?

3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I agree with the MOV suggestion. Looks like the Harris logo. I didn't know they made MOVs at some point. They were big into radio communications.

4. jimkeith

Oct 26, 2011
    If the ceramic package has a mat finish, it is very likely a capacitor.
    If glossy, it is very likely a MOV.
    First GE made MOVs, then Harris and now Littlefuse.
    The "2096" may be a house number--manufactured to a customer's specification.
    To recommend a substitute we must know the application--a schematic may also be necessary.
    Do your best to read the 3rd line--it may offer an important clue.

Generally, they are good if there is not a hole melted through the case or if the leads have not been blown off.

5. markj

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Sorry no schematic - The PCB is for a dash unit on a GM auto so 12 volt. Its linked to the main inputs + and - and then a diode. The system is playing up only works after 5-10 mins from cold. So suspect this is used to start up the stepper motors. Also capacitor smells burnt? Info on Cap as follows.

H (or M)?

Thanks
    Mark

6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Try unsoldering one leg of it, and see if it is shorted. If not, it could be good - at least you would know that it is not loading down your supply voltage.

7. jimkeith

Oct 26, 2011
    GM, due to high volume, would very likely purchase to a specification rather than a specific part number. My guess is that it is a low voltage MOV to deal with the harsh automotive electrical environment--perhaps 18 to 22V