Capacitor Id

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Andrews, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Andrews

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 17, 2008
    I need to ID a disk capacitor only thing I have on it is blue with 250 GPF RXW 10nZ 555 1x , does anybody know of a similar replacement?
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    At a guess, it's 10 nanofarad @ 250 volts. Any disk with the same rating and lead spacing should do as a substitute. You might want to wait and see if there is a better guess from another member.
  3. nomurphy

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 8, 2005
    According to the following link it's a 250V Roederstein cap, probably for RFI suppresion:
    application class = GPF
    type = RXW
    dielectric = ceramic
    Class (safety) = X1
    value = 10n is most likely 10nF (0.01uF)

555 = unknown (possibly a series number)
  4. ALT2016

Feb 13, 2007
    Forgive me for jumping on the bandwagon here.

I have a similar problem: I have a ceramic capacitor which was burnt/melted onto the PCB of an old computer power supply to such an extent that I couldn't read any values off it. Now I need to replace it but am not sure in which direction to go.
    I'm still very new to electronics, so there are a lot of things I still don't know or understand. Capacitors is one of those things.

Looking at the rest of the circuit, I found a few more caps of similar size (I know they can't be accurately identified like this but it's about my only option right now). They are tan in color with a value of 472 1KV. I don't have anything of the same value available and would like to know what criteria I need to look at for replacement. Should I go for higher/lower capacitance or higher/lower voltage values.

I have a few 472 2KV caps but they are blue - does the color signify anything important or is it just the choice of the manufacturer?

Lots of questions... As I said, I'm still trying to get my feet wet:p
  5. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    You can use 2KV caps where 1kv is called for - don't go the other way around though, unless you like to see bright flashes and smoke :eek:

I would give your 2kv caps a try for the replacement.

I don't know offhand what the blue color signifies. I think it's just a manufacturer's preference. I also have some HV ceramics that are blue.
  6. ALT2016

Feb 13, 2007
    LOL - Don't you guys ever sleep? Thanks for the fast reply. I like flashes and smoke but not while I'm working :)
  7. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, if you really want to narrow it down, you can map out a schematic of the circuit and post it. It can be a fiddly exercise, but you'll learn a lot more about it. Besides, if something else blows up, you will have your notes about what components went where and were connected to what.

Sleep? That's for people who are out of coffee. ;)