capacitor help

dimebagslash

Joined May 21, 2009
hi, a friend brought me a circuit boad from his samsung tv with battered capacitors, however when he removed them hes pulled of two of the pads to solder to, my question is:
iv been told i can connect them to another point, but im not sure how to go about where to connect them? iv done quite a bit of soldering before but iv never delt with a missing through hole solder pad,
any help would be greatly aprechiated
thanks

Is there any exposed wire leading up to the pulled off pad?

If there is, follow it to the nearest component or via and solder a wire from the capacitor to that point. If you can not see where the wire goes, try using a meter on continuity check to see where it is connected.

If there is no wire, just an internal board connection, then, well, ... hmmm ...

I would just scrap away the insulating material above the track near where you need to connect to it, bend the lead of the component you are going to install, and solder it directly to the big track.

Use sandpaper and be careful not to go through the track. Clean the area well. Use flux to help solder down the part.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

There are also a kind of glassfiber pencils to rub off the paint from the track.
With these penclis you can work more precise as with the sandpaper.

Greetings,
Bertus

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
The tracks on your board look very fine indeed so be careful not to sever them.

If you replacement capacitor has leads I would visually trace the broken track and solder a new flying lead at the next pad along. then coil the cap lead to form a tiny loop, thread the flying lead through it and solder it into the loop. If your cap does not have leads, solder the flying lead directly to the cap pads.

Slider2732

Joined May 6, 2009
Also, if the caps were 'battered' from mishandling of some type, there could be other components that actually caused the TV to fail. Wouldn't hurt to go over the board for anything else loose or damaged and reflow or replace those components.
Hopefully the caps trouble fixes it though :)