Capacitor Help High Voltage

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Chris15, Jul 4, 2009.

  1. Chris15

    Thread Starter Active Member

    Apr 15, 2009
    252
    0
    Hi
    I have pulled apart a disposable camera and inside there was a 160uf 330V capacitor, and when fully charged it is scary, i shorted the legs with a screwdriver and got a shock but i didn't get electricuted i just got scared of the BANG and the massive spark. i was thinking this would probably kill me if i touched it, would it. So if i touched it would it hurt really bad or kill me? i was to smart to touch it and fing out.

    Chris
     
  2. hgmjr

    Moderator

    Jan 28, 2005
    9,030
    214
    The voltage rating on the capacitor is always a good clue to the voltages that may be present on its terminals. The rating of 330V should serve as a warning that it was possible for the capacitor to be charged to at least half that voltage and possible even higher. You were correct in treating the capacitor with caution. The arc that you generated by shorting the two terminals together is often what causes an injury since the surprise it induces often results in a reflex reaction that results in the individual getting injured in the act of recoiling from the unexpected bang.

    hgmjr
     
  3. R!f@@

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 2, 2009
    8,754
    760
    Do not touch the cap terminals with two hands, doing this will cause the current to flow through your heart, I don't think it can kill but it gives hell lot of jolt to your nuggets. :D

    I mean, look at me, I'm still alive and I lost the count on how many times I ended up with the words (MF) every time I tried to dismantle a camera flash.

    Rifaa
     
  4. beenthere

    Retired Moderator

    Apr 20, 2004
    15,815
    282
    One hopes this is not intended as a part in your "Low Amp Tazer" project. This capacitor can hold enough charge to be extremely unpleasant. The reaction from the shock can lead to physical harm. Causing pain is not fun.
     
  5. R!f@@

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 2, 2009
    8,754
    760

    Sometimes..mostly what i get is pin holes in the skin..smell the burning of flesh ............YUCK!!!!

    Rifaa
     
  6. ELECTRONERD

    Senior Member

    May 26, 2009
    1,146
    16
    I accidentally touched the end of the strobe light for a disposable camerea circuit; and boy! Did I get a shock! It hurt like the dickens!
     
  7. R!f@@

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 2, 2009
    8,754
    760
    kekekekeke LMAOF

    Rifaa
     
  8. Chris15

    Thread Starter Active Member

    Apr 15, 2009
    252
    0
    OK
    So from what ive heard by touching the two prongs together with one finger or on any part of my body (not any part) it will just really hurt and leave a small burn mark there is not danger for me to die?

    Thanks chris
     
  9. SgtWookie

    Expert

    Jul 17, 2007
    22,182
    1,728
    As long as the current path is not near your heart, you may be OK.

    Try licking it with your tongue. That might dissuade you from further experiments.
     
  10. R!f@@

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 2, 2009
    8,754
    760
    Damn it...not again!!
    My gut's starting again, I did that once u know. :D

    Rifaa
     
  11. millwood

    Guest

    the "safe" voltage for human is generally considered to be 36vdc, smaller for ac voltages. some people can withstand much higher voltages, though others can be easily shocked.

    what does damage to us, however, isn't voltage, but current. at 360v, even a small capacitor can store tons of charges and if it discharges via our body, or our tongue, it can do very serious damages.

    when dealing with electrolytic capacitors of high voltages, I suggest that you bleed them first, using a small resistors (like 10 - 100ohm).
     
  12. ELECTRONERD

    Senior Member

    May 26, 2009
    1,146
    16
    I have this little kit that produces 80V output, but it has two prongs. What I do is I touch them with one finger and another finger from the same hand. This way, the current only goes in a loop. This wont endanger my heart at all. Now, If I wanted one prong, I would need a higher voltage to overcome my bodies resistance to ground. The capacitor has a high voltage that can overcome your resistance to ground so you only need to touch the positive terminal. So if you put the terminal right on your neck, the current will flow from your neck to ground which leads to your heart. This will endanger your heart. But if you have it on your stomach for example, it goes from your stomach to ground; and this doesn't go through your heart.
     
Loading...