Capacitor dielectrics?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by A mc, Feb 2, 2010.

1. A mc

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 2, 2010
    I’m trying to get up too speed with the state of the art on capacitor dielectrics. I’m hoping to build a high energy storage variable capacitor. Because I want the plates of the capacitor to move I was thinking a gas or liquid is more suitable. To get the energy density I want I need high permittivity and high dielectric strength

I’ve done a bit of reading, I’ve found the following

Oils Er= 2 to 4 @ 100 to 140 kV/cm
    SF6 Er= 2 to 4 @ 600kV/cm Container would need to be pressurised and such high voltages would incur other problems

alkylene carbonates Er=80 @ 100 to 500KV/cm liquid is quickly contaminated and dielectric strength drops rapidly.

I’m hoping someone can point me in the direction of new materials with good properties

thanks

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Out of curiosity - why a variable capacitor? what will be the application?

3. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    I would recommend SF6. It's basicly inert and easy to use. Just pump the vessel to vacuum then pressurize to about 14 psi. I use the stuff for rf hi-voltage resonators at work.

http://www.aibt-inc.com/pdf/IITConference-High_Efficiency.pdf

4. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    If you charge a variable capacitor whilst it is set to maximum capacitance, then isolate it and decrease it's capacitance, the voltage on it increases.

It is one method of creating extremely high voltage.

5. A mc

Feb 2, 2010

It for use as a power generation device. A sort of charge pump. Converts mechanical energy to electrical

6. A mc

Feb 2, 2010
    Thank for the info. What is the dielectric strength of SF6 at 14psi?

7. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009