Capacitor choice or replacement

Netwaves

Joined Feb 9, 2015
I have a piezo buzzer that causes noise on the bus. I'm using a 100uF 16V electrolytic capacitor and that works fine to dampen the noise, but it holds more charge than needed and when the circuit powers down it keeps the piezo going for a couple of seconds until the cap drains.

My question is, what capacitor can I use that won't store as much power, and will drain more quickly and still work? Should I be looking at lower uF values like 50uF?

Netwaves

Joined Feb 9, 2015
Hello,

Post the complete schematic of the set-up.
This way we can see what needs to be changed.

Bertus
Thanks you! Here is a small/partial schematic I've been working on. The piezo buzzer is remote, approx 100', from the main circuit. The dashed lines are the run out to the sounder/sensor combo. Also, the optoisolator is a PS2505 bi-directional, not a PS2504 as pictured. As you can see, this is a two line system. I can't run more lines. I have this entire circuit on a breadboard and it works fine except for the 100uf electrolytic cap on the piezo side. If I remove the cap then the noise in the system causes lots of havoc.

remote_sounder.png

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What kind of wires do you use for the piezo?
It can be there is a pickup of signals.
Can you use a coax or other shielded cable for the piezo?

Bertus

Netwaves

Joined Feb 9, 2015
Hello,

What kind of wires do you use for the piezo?
It can be there is a pickup of signals.
Can you use a coax or other shielded cable for the piezo?

Bertus
No. The wires are old security system wiring. Approx 32 of them. 18 gauge stranded. About 30 years old. I can't replace them. :-( I'm only having the problem on the wiring with the piezo, so it is the piezo causing it. I would like to replace the 100uf electrolytic with a smaller cap or a ceramic if possible.

Netwaves

Joined Feb 9, 2015
Hello,

What kind of signal is going to the piezo?
Is it DC or a switched/pulsed signal?

Bertus
Bi-directional DC. The piezo is activated by reversing the polarity. The switch in the schematic is a reed relay. This way I can constantly monitor the door switch in both polarities and simply turn on the piezo buzzer by reversing the polarity.