Capacitor charge flow problem

pk2010

Joined May 26, 2015

I calculated all the potentials before the shorting and all the potentials after the shorting.But how do i find how much charge transferred through the shorting wire?

PS: This is not homework.I am practising some problems for a competitive exam.I study on my own so I have no teacher to ask.Can someone help me?

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Q=VC
C is assumed constant for a capacitor. You have V. Any change in total charge on the caps had to come from (or go into charging) the batteries.

pk2010

Joined May 26, 2015
Q=VC
C is assumed constant for a capacitor. You have V. Any change in total charge on the caps had to come from (or go into charging) the batteries.
but there are so many capacitors and batteries..how do i estimate how much charge flew from that particular wire?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
but there are so many capacitors and batteries..how do i estimate how much charge flew from that particular wire?
You look at the charge into or out of each capacitor and add them together (making note of the charge sign) to get the net charge through the wire.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
..how do i estimate how much charge flew from that particular wire?
I'll admit I haven't worked out the answer, but I believe the answer can be calculated analytically and will not require an estimation. It may require an iterative convergence, so maybe an initial estimate would help with that.