capacitor calaulation

sangpo

Joined Aug 17, 2013
Hi all, I have started my electronic project on making battery eleimitor using stept down tarnsfermer.(stepdown to 12 volt AC. (variying from 3,6,9 12 VoutDC) Full bridge rectification was done. I want to use capacitor for smoothing the DC volt before connecting the input volt to ML317 regulator.

So what is formula to calculate the value of smoothing capacitor. Please help me to teach how find out correct value of capacitor.

Thank u

Sangpo

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
In response to the other thread you started in which you stated

recommended Capacitor value for a circuit=1000μF 25 volt.

What will happen if I used capacitor with a value of 250μF, 12 V? (instead of recommended value)
the answers are two: The smaller capacitance will result in greater ripple, which may or may not make it unacceptable. The smaller working voltage may result in the capacitor failing, possible by exploding or catching fire.

P.S. - Why did you feel the need to start another thread to ask such a closely related question? You needn't fear;MrChips hasn't bitten anyone's head off for questioning his recommendations in quite some time. As noted by Bertus, the answer is tightly coupled to the application.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If you need to replace the 1000µF 25V rated capacitor and all you have are the 250µF 12V rated capacitors, there might be a way to do that. Once we hear what you're doing, we can advise.