CAPACITOR - ac rc circuit charging and discharging

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Research Survey, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Research Survey

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 27, 2016
    hello , i suddenly got confused about capacitors when we discussed about triacs with capacitor as triggering time delay element (ac source)

in ac rc circuit, i understand that since ac is sinusoidal, the capacitor will continuously charge and discharge. So literally, the capacitor is not charging up to a certain voltage since every 1/4 cycle it changes polarity and state (charging and discharging). ?

however changing the point of view, an rc circuit, when analyzed via ac analysis, we get the impedance and reactance and compute the voltage using kvl. does that mean the voltage drop across capacitor is equal to the voltage or charged stored in it?

please help me in understanding. and correct my misconcepcion. thank you in advance

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    If you mean the instantaneous voltage and charge (which varies during the AC cycle), yes.

3. Research Survey

Feb 27, 2016
    Sir , if you may elaborate more about your response sir. i mean when to use which analysis.... thank you sir

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Which analyses are you referring to?

5. Research Survey

Feb 27, 2016
    instantaenous voltage of ac analysis and the normal analysis (charge and discharge of capacitor continuously since sine wave)