Capacitance Proximity Sensor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by KCHARROIS, Jan 2, 2014.

1. KCHARROIS

Thread Starter Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Hello,

Just want an opinion on whether the idea is ludicrous or not. So I'd like to take a femto farad capacitance meter which there are circuits already available online and use it as a proximity that can detect change from up to 6 inches away. A square inch copper plate will be the sensing capacitor.

Thanks

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
  3. eeabe

Nov 30, 2013
    In my opinion, not ludicrous. A while back I was working with a very high impedance circuit that could sense hand movement nearby. It was not the intended purpose in my case, but it showed that it was possible. I think it might take some interesting filtering and logic to deal with the signal size and other noise sources.

4. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    look up circuit for theramin, a musical instrument that produces tones determined by distance of a hand to a probe. an oscilator has one side of the capacitance brought out to a probe, and another oscilator is hetrodyned with it to produce varying tones determined by the distance of the hand.
    cliff

5. KCHARROIS

Thread Starter Member

Jun 29, 2012
    I guess its not completely ludicrous but definitely a challenge. I'll give it my best shot.

Thanks

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm completely serious about doing the math to find the expected capacitance change. I don't see how you can proceed without knowing how much you are trying to measure. I expect the answer is in the picofarad range.

7. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    No, not ludicrous at all... but perhaps overkill.

*ANY* circuit that depends on some capacitor value to operate can act as the basis of a capacitive sensor. One such circuit is the ubiquitous '555 timer. I used one of those back when I was working on a projective capacitance sensor.

My sensor only had to see a half inch ahead to sense water. Here is a post of some of my early findings. I have the test sensor around here somewhere... think it's in the shed, and with a foot of snow coming in tonight it may be months before I make it back out there again to confirm what I remember.

It occurs to me to maximize the effect of the fringe field over the direct (directly between the plates) one may simple remove the direct plate like so:

[​IMG]

What the drawback may be is in the original version the back plate also acts as a shield: it did not seem to matter a bit what went behind the back plate, just what went in front of the small plate.