Cap question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mbohuntr, May 15, 2013.

1. mbohuntr

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Hey fellas, quick question... I'm trying to replace a cap on a RV led light array and its marked 106. One leg on the board is denoted with a (L), but the cap doesn't have any polarity markings. I believe it's a 10uF, but what does the "L" mean for polarity???? The cap is coated with a rubber like wrap and there is no other markings Thanks! Mike.

2. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I really hope you don't mean "RV" as in "Recreational Vehicle" :eek:

3. mbohuntr

Apr 6, 2009
    Uh ooooo...:p I completely forgot about the TOS. I had replaced the incandescent bulbs in the fixtures with aftermarket leds. All good, and all better, I applied power and placed a meter on the board. The L was negative on my non automotive Redundant Ventilator. My humblest apologies dear mods....:) Thanks for keeping me honest...

DerStrom8 likes this.
  4. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I'm sure the guys over at ETO would be willing and able to answer your question. I'm a member there--great group of guys (and gals). If you're not a member over there, I highly recommend opening an account. I'm sure they'd be happy to help :)

Regards,
    Matt

5. mbohuntr

Apr 6, 2009
    Thanks! I might do that. I got it working anyway. I never gave the question a thought before I posted!!!:p

6. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Don't worry, you're not the only one. I do it all the time. I've just been lucky it wasn't anything forbidden :p

7. mbohuntr

Apr 6, 2009
    I tried a search, what does ETO stand for?

8. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    ETO is so well known that DS8 assumed you'd know:p

It's almost as good as AAC, except for the trolls, which the moderators allow:mad:

10. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I must add that that is not the fault of the moderators. ETO's TOS is not as well developed as AAC's, so the moderators are forced to let some trolls slip by as they do not break any actual rules.

However, the mods are friendly and will consider taking action if you have a problem with someone and report them.

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That was not how it worked when I reported a problem, but to be fair, that was at least 3 years ago. It might be better now.

12. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I'm thinking 3 years ago we had a completely different set of mods. 3v0 is no longer a moderator, Eric Gibbs became one soon before 3v0 stepped down, and now Ian Rogers is on board (he's relatively new to the site--very nice guy though).

I would love to have you back at ETO. If you still don't like it, you're welcome to leave again. Just a thought, anyway... ;)

Matt

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Now you've named 2 of the 3 PIBs that got me to quit ETO.:eek:
    Quite a coincidence...or is it...:rolleyes:
    The fact that you guessed which ones irritated me the most suggests that they irritated more than one person;)

14. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I'm assuming those two were Nigel and 3v0?

I don't see Nigel often, 3v0 has settled down, has been busy putting together his pond. Ian is probably the most personable of them all, I think you two would get along well.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    No. Nigel is a name I do not recognize. Another one you mentioned in a different thread.

I can always go to ETO and check the last post date of the third suspect.

16. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Hmm, does his name begin with "S" and end with "ceadwian"? :p

Feel free to PM me, I can give you a heads up of who's around and when they last posted.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The one you mentioned in a different thread was Scead. The third suspect has not been mentioned between us. Let me check the third one and be done with this.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  18. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Like I said, if you have any questions about any of the members, feel free to PM me. I have a feeling I know who you're talking about, but I could be wrong. If it's who I think it is, he's on the verge of being banned from there, which is no easy feat. The rules over there are pretty lax, and this guy has been pushing them from the start. I think he's already had his two warnings. Next offense and he's gone.

That is, if I'm right about who I think you might be talking about.