Cap as a time delay?

bugmenot7

Joined Mar 3, 2014
Let me start off by stating that I have no training in electronics.

I have a small battery powered RF remote. I am attaching a NO switch. When the switch closes, the remote transmits. When installed, the switch will likely be closed for several minutes. I only want the remote to transmit for about 2 seconds when it's closed.
I looked at time delay relays on Digikey and everything is too large and the cheapest--at $16--is more than I wanted to spend.

Is there some way to wire a capacitor to the switch to make it discontinuous after the capacitor is fully charged? Should also mention the remote uses a single 12V (number 23A) battery.

Rich2

Joined Mar 3, 2014
Put an electrolytic capacitor in series with the relay coil, it will then only stay on while the capacitor charges ie a couple of seconds

bugmenot7

Joined Mar 3, 2014
I must not have explained correctly: I looked at relays but do not actually have one, and am still not quite sure if I need one.

According to the transmitter's datasheet I'd need to drop it below 8V (ideally as close to 0 as possible).

Also due to my lack of electronics knowledge I don't know to use that calculator; all I know is the supply voltage and time.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
From what I see, maybe you are thinking the power supply needs to go below 8 volts to stop the chip. That just makes them go unreliable unless you take that voltage way below 8 volts, so the "as close to zero" is the right answer.

A good way would be to make /TE go high after 2 seconds.

are we on the right page with each other now?