Can't think of a present for myself... :(

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Better pic of FR-S Price around $23k

Subaru BRZ Price around $25k or $27k for premium with crap spoiler and Navi system, Notice the Subaru Blue option color. I think the scions you can get in any toyota color the BRZ;s are limited to 6 colors white being the most $

Heres my Choice #2 Its the scion Tc, Reminds me of a cross betwen a lexus and an Acura, Price is around $17,000 Has same engine but only 170hp.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Avelanche have done a lot better then I thought they'd do. I figured they last 2-3 seasons and get discontinued but they seem to have found a loyal following. I'm a purist so if I get a truck I get a silverado 1500 with extended bed and tow package, I want a cheap commuter car I get a 2004 Honda Civic, Now I want a sporty car that can drift, hang with a souped up Mustang or Corvette and still have a PM installed in the center console, be cheap as in a lil over 20k but not WRX land. Something good on gas but can still lay it down when I want. Oh and I plan on rebadging it and using the circuit graphic from the AAC logo with out the AAC. and have traces running up the rear sides to pads in fron to the real wheel. Then I'm gonna CNC a sweet hood ornement for front and back and leave it badgeless.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Nice car Maxpower! Congrats on that. I hope you won't be getting wasted and driving that one... ;)

I don't know if you play but if not, why not?

Starter packs fit the budget. If you live near a real music store, drop in on a weekday morning (when all of the little shredders are sleeping it off) and ask to see something off the used rack. You can get much more for your money and a good guitar usually gets better with age. ...
Thanks John and that's a great gift idea in the price range. However I've been playing for 35 years and already got that stuff, I have a few guitars/basses, midi sequencer keyboard, home recording studio with lots of rack mount effects and a pretty cool digital 16 track recorder. Maybe I should just play the damn things more? ;)

Thanks Nerdegutta for the suggestion of the door gym but my budget goes a bit higher than that. Maybe a floor gym with lots of attachments? :)

Bah I must be too geeky for my own good, thinking about getting a nice camera+ 17" monitor based microscope for doing SMD inspection etc. You know you're a geek when you pass up on cool toys and go for a nerdy piece of equipment for the lab... :D

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I know this is beyond your budget, but earlier this year I bought a portable Honda generator. I couldn't wait for Santa. It's amazing, quiet, efficient, easy starting. I bought it for camping, but it totally allows me to take my hobby on the road. And since it's based on intertor technology, the power is clean enough for the most sensitive gear. One other interesting thing, the honda ( and other's I'm sure ) has a port that allows you to connect two running units together to double your power when needed. It's the best toy I've gotten in years.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
It's extremely quiet. I could put it between us and we could still have a conversation. Best of all, it has an "economy" mode, when if used, the db level goes to about 10% of what is already a low level. In economy mode, it will run 4 hours on one gallon of gas.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
My camping gear wouldn't fit in my car, so I bought a van to haul it in. Now I have pleanty of room left over, so I can go and buy more camping gear!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I know this is beyond your budget, but earlier this year I bought a portable Honda generator. I couldn't wait for Santa. It's amazing, quiet, efficient, easy starting. I bought it for camping, but it totally allows me to take my hobby on the road. And since it's based on intertor technology, the power is clean enough for the most sensitive gear. One other interesting thing, the honda ( and other's I'm sure ) has a port that allows you to connect two running units together to double your power when needed. It's the best toy I've gotten in years.

Well if you are using a generator then I would not exactly call that "camping". More like living in a cloth hut. :)

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Well if you are using a generator then I would not exactly call that "camping". More like living in a cloth hut. :)
I agree, a generator may be kind of awkward to fit. Then you pack your rucksack :p. And my stove has the top priority then it comes to petrol

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Have you seen how they cook food now in the forces?

In special pouches. It has a plastic bag, which has a small pouch of some chemical in it. You add 40ml of water and within 30 seconds you have a seriously hot exothermic reaction taking place. Then you just add more water and cook your rations in that.

Much easier than stoves.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I'm not that excited about a generator, sorry. It's not geekcandy enough. :) (I just made that word up).

Still not that enthused about anything but maybe the SMD camera. Life is tough. ;)

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Whatever dude, time spent is the outdoors is a rejuvinating experience for me, no matter how you want to lable it. I don't do simple overnights. When I go camping, it's for a duration of a week or more. I enjoy having a few creature comforts while I get close to the natural world. I typically find that those who belittle how I camp don't spend near the time in the woods that I do.

Attachments

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I'm not that excited about a generator, sorry. It's not geekcandy enough. :) (I just made that word up).

No need to be sorry. I wasn't trying to get you exicted about the gen, just try to suggest something unusual, as I know you already have every kind of test gear set and development system you'll need for years. As for the geek factor, consider modern portable generators are technology laden, enabling lots of fun things. I'm working on making mine self-starting, so that it may start up and charge the camp's batteries unattended. Also considering integrating it with solar generators to supply power during solar 'shortages.' And as I said, I can now bring my hobby with me anywhere.

I can't think of much of anything else. Oh wait, how bout a mobile 'hotspot?' I've considered one of these myself. Course, they require a subscription, which is the real cost of the thing.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are a number of guitar players here on AAC.
I've been thinking of getting a Fender for Christmas.
What is your choice between a Telecaster and a Stratocaster and why?