Can't think of a present for myself... :(

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Hmm, last year I got a digital storage scope which was nice.

This year I'm having trouble thinking of something to buy for myself (or "hint" for the wifey to get it for me).

Hmm, what to get when you've got everything you want (except those big things that cost too much like a new Ford GT40)?

Budget maybe $300 tops, doesn't have to be technical equipment but should be something real that will last to give many years of service or fun, not something that gets used up.

Any suggestions?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
As years go by, I catch myself thinking that I don't really need something for my birthday or Christmas. If I have everything I want, why should I make myself want more? I 'll just pass and save the money for when I actually need something. Plus it makes me feel like I have an excuse to spend later.

My mother used to tell me that she often got a bar of chocolate for her birthday.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I'd go for the boots,you need to keep your feet and power dry. You may find your

self off of the high road. Good health to all you guys for xmas and beyond.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
To Nerdegutta; Thanks for hte suggestion of hiking boots etc and I used to love walking through the mountains and woodlands. These days though I live in the woodlands and my backyard is practically woodlands ;) and I have plenty of hiking gear.

To gerty; I love the semiauto 22 (congrats on buying one!) but unfortunately I'm in Australia and our govt has some defective and immoral laws that ban that particular rifle.

Georacer; Darn you are sounding too much like the way I feel... Too sensible as we get older.

I'll probably buy another piece of test equipment or something more "work useful" than "play fun". :(

I duno, maybe I'll get some home gym equipment or some martial arts equipment, my fitness is not what it used to be... ;)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Heres what I'm getting this month. Took forever to decided on the FR-S vs the BRZ

For those who don't know this is the most saught after car on the market because its the size of a civic but has a Boxer engine in it which lowers the center of gravity 4 inches. The Chassis, was designed by Subaru and Toyota(Scion) The Engine and drivetrain were designed by Subaru, then the shocks and all the other stuff was designed by subaru for the subaru's and Toyota for the Scions. Their identical cars just different badges. Its 2.0L 200HP with a top speed of 179 stock. 6 speed manual. Automatic has paddles.

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Heres what I'm getting this month. Took forever to decided on the FR-S vs the BRZ

Are you getting the FT!?! If I could buy a car right now, this would be it!
Tell me how she handles!

Edit: Waitaminute! That's the Toyota FT-86, not a Scion! I thought Lexus was the importer of luxurious Toyotas in the US. I 've never heard of Scion so far.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Is there a relation between Scion and Toyota? I knew that Subaru and Toyota developed the car platform together, but I 've never heard about Scion.

BRZ and FT-86 do have differences, most important of all in the engine.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Toyota owns scion.
Also for fun they just put out the most reliable car list for 2013. Ford drops 23 positions to #28. Ironically here were some of the top 6
1. Scion - Toyota
2. Toyota - Toyota
3. Lexus - Toyota
4. Acura
5. Subaru
6. Honda

Nope all of them have the 2.0L Subaru/Toyota Boxer engines. The motor drive train and chassis are exactly the same. Only differences a slight nose changes, the Subaru has a half azzed spoiler and navi system. But the cars are all exactly the same except for minor front clip aero, you can even bolt on a FT-86 front end onto a scion FR-S.

Ok one more correction Subaru and Toyota teamed up for this car only. No other cars have any input from the others. They do have slight diffenences but you'd need to line all the pics up and spend an hour looking for em. But everyones saying the differences between the 3 are purly cosmetic. Scion gotten a great rep here but it may be like Acura where its sold as a Toyota over in EU and a scion here in the States, Do you guys have the scion Tc? That was my runner up.

Also Scions been around for about 9 years, great rep and goes after the 16-40 year old market. Toyota's gonna go into higher end cars, Lexus will keep trying to be mercedes, and scion will take over as the entry level. But This car no matter what edition you get is amazing, its really a $50,000 car in a civic size.

Last edited:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I don't know if you play but if not, why not?

Starter packs fit the budget. If you live near a real music store, drop in on a weekday morning (when all of the little shredders are sleeping it off) and ask to see something off the used rack. You can get much more for your money and a good guitar usually gets better with age.

Sometimes a good store will include a few group lessons with purchase, especially around the holidays. That would get you started.. Even without, if you started today, you could learn a few Christmas songs in time to meet Santa.

Having a guitar means always having something on your Christmas list - a new tuner, strap, strings, stomp box (effects) all the way up to a custom Stratocaster and beyond.

Of course, having an electric guitar also means that you never lack for a cool new project, hot-rod the pickups, design your own amplifier and effects, etc.

Too much fun.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, a Fender Stratocaster is on my Christmas list. Don't think I've been good enough to get one though.
Last Christmas I got the Fender Super Champ XD. Now waiting for the Strat to plug in.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Edit: Waitaminute! That's the Toyota FT-86, not a Scion! I thought Lexus was the importer of luxurious Toyotas in the US. I 've never heard of Scion so far.
Heres part of the link. See how close they look There all the same car except for about 5% different, different shocks, different nose geometry but really close, Subaru's can have Navi, Scions can't. We don't get the Toyota GT-86(Which was named that because thats the code for being out of something, When you 86 something that means your sold out.) So I can;t look and drive one to let you know but I've confirmed they all have same engine, tranny, and drive train.
images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/09/07-2013-Scion-FR-S-Picture-courtesy-of-Phil-Murilee-Martin-Greden-550x368.jpg