can't hold my sneeze

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I got my tonsils removed last month. Since then I can't quench my sneezes. You know how you can sort of put pressure up in your sinuses right before a sneeze so that your sneeze come out soft? Well I can't any more. My sneezes just slam into the back of my head at ~145mph and it hurts like hell. Gives me an instant headache. And it makes me blow snot all over.

Just thought you guys should know

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi strantor.

There are a lot of other methods to preventing a sneeze that you may like to try. A quick google search brought up these (seemingly strange and unusual) ideas from wikiHow:

1) If you blow your nose when you feel a sneeze coming on, you will not sneeze.
2) Using your thumb and forefinger, pinch your upper lip lightly and press it upward toward your nostrils. Your thumb should head toward one nostril and your forefinger toward the other, bunching up your upper lip slightly.
3) Press your tongue behind your two front teeth, where the roof of your mouth meets the gum palate or alveolar ridge. Press hard with your most powerful muscles against your teeth until the tickling sensation dissipates.
4) Find a small table anywhere in your home, hover your face about 1 inch from the top of the table and stick your tongue out and just wait for the sneeze to subside. It takes about 5 to 7 seconds. It seems silly, but it really works.
5) Pinch the tip of your nose just before you sneeze and hold your breath. This may cause your ears to pop.
6) If you tend to have long sneezing jags, blow your nose frequently to clear your nostrils of irritants.
7) Tickle the roof of your mouth with the tip of your tongue when you feel the sneeze coming on. Continue until the urge to sneeze dissipates. This should take 5 to 10 seconds.
8) Press the top of your upper lip with a finger.
9) Spread the thumb of one hand away from the fingers. Using the sharp edges of the nails on the thumb and index finger of your other hand, pinch the flap of skin between the spread thumb and the fingers.
10) Look at the darkest and largest surface you can find. Examples may include a computer screen that is off, or someone's black clothing. Imagine yourself slowly moving into the blackness, as if you are zooming into outer space and being enveloped in more and more warm darkness. Focus deeply on imagining this, and the "sneezy feeling" will soon subside. Hint: the better you get at this, the smaller the dark surface will need to be. Also, while trying this, avoid looking or thinking of any lights or similarly bright-colored objects. This will be especially effective if you are prone to the Photic sneeze reflex (see Tips).
11) Think very intensely about the spot right between your eyebrows. Keep imagining that something is touching it until the sneezing feeling subsides.
12) It is often possible to stop a sneeze late in the build up by sucking the tip of your finger. This works right up until the point when you actually initiate the sneeze.
13) Try using your thumb and index finger to firmly squeeze the bridge of your nose, pushing slightly toward the corners of your eyes. If you attempt this too late, your hand is already in front of your mouth and nose.
14) With the side of your forefinger (hand held horizontal beneath your eyes), press into the cartilage on your nose, just under the bone of the bridge of your nose. This will pinch one of the nerves involved in triggering a sneeze.
15) Wiggle your ear lobe gently as you feel a sneeze coming on. This can look like you are playing with an earing or something, but does effectively stifle a sneeze.
16) Your eyes instinctively close when sneezing. Holding your eyelids open will prevent your body from allowing a sneeze to occur.
17) If you see someone about to sneeze or if they state that they feel a sneeze coming on, say "Pineapple." The absurdity and timing of the word sometimes forces the brain to "forget" about the sneeze.
18) Try using your finger to push up on the bottom of your nose as soon as you feel the tingling.
19) Using all of your concentration, visualize a grapefruit. Imagine having one in front of you and observing the color, texture, shape, and any irregularities. Think about what happens when you cut it, and the color and amount of juice inside. This should distract your brain from the imminent sneeze.
20) Clench your teeth together, but try to stick out your tongue (use the muscle to push against the backs of your front teeth).
21) Push fingernail between teeth at gum line, bottom-row teeth are most effective. Repeat as necessary.
22) Tap on your forehead between your eyes when you feel a sneeze coming on.
23) Try taking a big deep breath in, simple & discreet for those occasions when needed.
24) Hold your breath since right before you sneeze you take a breath so if you hold your breath you won't sneeze.
25) This works for some people; Think really hard about sneezing
26) For this one you will need a friend. Have him/her stand directly behind you, and then try and imagine yourself eating a very spicy taco. While you are doing this, have your friend flick your ear as hard as they can several times. This will overload the neural sensation preceeding the sneeze.
27) Try placing an ice cube in your mouth and pressing it with you tongue against the roof of your mouth. It seems to stop repeated uncontrolled sneezing.
28) Chewing a sugar free slightly menthol or spearmint gum helps to stop sneezing fits.
29) Let all your breath out. The sneeze will either go away entirely, or it'll come out weak.
30) Think that it is fine to sneeze through your nose, when you feel a sneeze coming on. Children sneeze through their nose instinctively, but adults tend to sneeze more through their mouth.
31) You can also try drawing a horse or even using your finger to do the outline of one...your brain will concentrate on the horse and you will probably stop thinking about sneezing. It usually works.
32) If you have already breathed in to sneeze, then blow out the mouth very quickly and the air will be out of the system. Repeat as needed.
33) This sometimes works although it is very strange: repeat cabbage over and over again out loud
34) When you feel the sneeze coming loudly say "PINEAPPLE" seems stupid but it really works. and try to say it when your friend is about to sneeze.

I know most of these sound very ridiculous, but if any of them can prevent your painful sneezes, it may be worth it ;):D
Sorry for the very long post, but good luck, and I hope you heal up quickly!
Best regards,
Der Strom

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Some of those are hilarious. Don't try number 4 unless you want a broken nose.
4) Find a small table anywhere in your home, hover your face about 1 inch from the top of the table and stick your tongue out and just wait for the sneeze to subside. It takes about 5 to 7 seconds. It seems silly, but it really works.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thanks for the heads-up. I will watch for blowing snot when I'm in Houston.

I don't read posts of over 500 words, but in case DerStrom didn't say this, just let 'em happen. (Please keep paper towels available.) Corking up a sneeze can have bad results!

I hope you stop being so uncomfortable, soon.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Ok, I'm going to go down the list trying each of those in plain sight at work and see if I get drug tested.

Last edited: