Can't get this 12V to 300V converter to work! Breadboard pictures included!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Randy13, May 29, 2013.

1. Randy13

Thread Starter New Member

May 16, 2013
    Hey guys,

I just got all the parts in and I've been trying to build this (seemingly) simple circuit, and I've been trying to get it to work for literally 6 hours! The circuit uses the 6v (XFT-1610) transformer, and I've replaced it with the 12V (XFT-1934) transformer for use with 12v input voltage.

I cannot seem to get more than 1-2 volts out of it, while it should be stepping up to 300 volts!

I've marked the pins of the transformer in red on the circuit picture below to make it easier to follow what I've done:

° Transformer Pin #1 connected to +12V input, as well to Pin #3 through a 1K resistor.

° Transformer Pin #2 connected to the "negative" side of 300V film capacitor.

° Transformer Pin #4 connected to 2SD882 Collector.

° Transformer Pin #5 connected to 2SD882 Base.

° 2SD882 Emitter connected to -12V input, as well as to "positive" side of 300V film capacitor.

Am I doing anything wrong? I can't seem to get more than a 1-2 volt output. ANY help or ideas would be highly appreciated!

Click on the pictures to make them larger:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you so much!

2. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    From the 2nd picture, it seems like the Emitter of 2SD882 is connected to P3 of the transformer together with the 1K resistor. Can you confirm that?

Are the 5 pins of the transformer making good contact with the breadboard (inserted in the holes properly)? It seems like it is floating on the breadboard.

Here is the link to the transformer and its windings.
    http://www.xenonflashtubes.com/XFT-1610-6v.html

Allen

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  3. Randy13

Thread Starter New Member

May 16, 2013
    Sorry, it's the angle of the picture. Pin 3 of the transformer is over one notch (plugged into Terminal 2 in the breadboard). The Emitter of 2SD882 is plugged into Terminal 3 in the breadboard. Thank you!

Edit: Yes, the transformer was pushed down all the way that it could go into the breadboard.

4. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Have you measured the transformer with an ohm-meter? From the diagram of the link that I posted. Based on your system of numbering of coil tags, p1-p3-p5 is one coil, while p2-p4 is another coil. Are you getting the same continualty as in the diagram?

Allen

Last edited: May 29, 2013