Can't get MRF136 to oscillate

Spottymaldoon

Joined Dec 4, 2015
I'm trying to persuade the attached circuit to oscillate (ultimately at 100MHz but any frequency will do for now).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZlKa1Knz2cQTA0TUlxMEpKQWc/view?usp=sharing
The MRF136 is supposed to be operating as a Colpitts oscillator but everything is just DC - I am applying a drain voltage of 20 and a bias of 5-7 volts to the gate and I'm measuring 150mA going through the device but however I tune the two capacitors, no oscillation.

Advice please!

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
That is a beautiful layout and printed circuit board.

It appears as though you are hoping an electrolytic capacitor will suffice as a bypass capacitor. Not a good idea because the equivalent series inductance in the hundreds of MHz makes electrolytics "invisible". I don't know whether that is what is keeping your oscillator from oscillating, but putting a good quality ceramic capacitor or two across the electrolytic will assure that you really do have a decoupling capacitor.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As Dick said, the electrolitic capacitor will not help in the place you put it.
There is a long line between C7 and C9, wich will act as an inductor.
Also you did not have the intended inductor placed at C9, assuming TP6 is the power point.
A couple of ceramic capacitors near C7 will help to decouple the circuit.

Have a look at the following PDF for RF prototyping:
rf_proto-1.pdf

Bertus

Spottymaldoon

Joined Dec 4, 2015
That is a beautiful layout and printed circuit board.

It appears as though you are hoping an electrolytic capacitor will suffice as a bypass capacitor. Not a good idea because the equivalent series inductance in the hundreds of MHz makes electrolytics "invisible". I don't know whether that is what is keeping your oscillator from oscillating, but putting a good quality ceramic capacitor or two across the electrolytic will assure that you really do have a decoupling capacitor.
Thanks for the kind words and very sensible advice which I have immediately implemented - please see revised arrangement with "your" capacitor inserted at ">":

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZlKa1Knz2cdWtJUFFGRlFVQ0k/view?usp=sharing

I also moved the two trimmers to the reverse of the board and cleaned away as much flux as I could.

Unfortunately, there is still no oscillation ...

Hello,

As Dick said, the electrolitic capacitor will not help in the place you put it.
There is a long line between C7 and C9, wich will act as an inductor.
Also you did not have the intended inductor placed at C9, assuming TP6 is the power point.
A couple of ceramic capacitors near C7 will help to decouple the circuit.

Have a look at the following PDF for RF prototyping:
rf_proto-1.pdf

Bertus
Thanks for responding Bertus - I made the changes suggested by Dick and also cleaned up the board arrangement somewhat. I shall leave no stone un-turned and your advice is appreciated - I will go and get the choke you pointed out as missing and try again. Thanks also for the documentation - that is very specific and to-the-point for me and for this project - I am reading it.

My ideal frequency here is 100MHz but right now I'll take anything except DC!

Last edited by a moderator:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am getting confused with the partnumbering in the schematic and PCB.
The partnumbering does NOT match.

Also the soldering on the transistor tabs is very little on your PCB picture.
Have a look at this PCB how the RF transistor is soldered:

20082010331_1024x768.jpg

Bertus

Spottymaldoon

Joined Dec 4, 2015
Hello,

I am getting confused with the partnumbering in the schematic and PCB.
The partnumbering does NOT match.

Also the soldering on the transistor tabs is very little on your PCB picture.
Have a look at this PCB how the RF transistor is soldered:

View attachment 95968

Bertus
Sure, I used only a little solder because that is an expensive transistor and I might have to junk the circuit! If the circuit works I shall not spare the solder, just like that other fella.

Spottymaldoon

Joined Dec 4, 2015
I discovered two things. (1) my inductor is around 6nH which, with a maximum capacitance of perhaps 10pF will give a frequency that is around 650MHz (way higher than I want) - I miscalculated the inductance and have now replaced this with a 330nH inductance. However, still no oscillation.

And (2) I took a look at the transistor.

While there is almost a linear variation of Isd with Vgs (Vds = 20V) with a cutoff at Vgs=4V and a maximum of 205mA for Vgs=8V - there is virtually no change of current with Vds. In other words, if I set Vgs=8V, Isd remains almost constant at 200mA for all Vds >10V, regardless of the voltage applied to the rail.

I have treated this expensive transistor with kid gloves but, unless I am doing something really dumb (which is all too possible) I believe I have a bad transistor here.

I'd be grateful for any confirmation - or otherwise.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
The MRF136 has a huge amount of capacitance. It may be fine for a power amp where it is driven by a low impedance source but you will have a hard time making a stable oscillator in the 100 MHz range. The transistor's capacitance will overwhelm the capacitance in the tuned circuit.

upload_2015-12-8_14-35-6.png

Spottymaldoon

Joined Dec 4, 2015
RichardO said:
The MRF136 has a huge amount of capacitance. It may be fine for a power amp where it is driven by a low impedance source but you will have a hard time making a stable oscillator in the 100 MHz range. The transistor's capacitance will overwhelm the capacitance in the tuned circuit.

Richard - thanks for responding. Your explanation fits what I was seeing and I have accordingly dumped that idea. Since the demise of the 2N3375 I haven't been able to find an equivalent and so lashed out to try a power FET.

Last edited by a moderator: