Can't find the current?... :/

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Hi!
Some trouble ahead...

I'm using the Arduino UNO with 5V as the Voltage source, so I know the TOTAL voltage.
I need the TOTAL current to move on and as I dont have any resistors attached yet, so I can't calculate the TOTAL current of my circuit.

Very new I am indeed, and in my "math practice" in electronics I always got the resistance(*) in the entire circuit in the exercise instructions. Now I dont.
So how can I find the total current for the Arduino UNO?

Maybe the way I'm doing this is bad? Please tell me, if so :)

Thanks! Stay awesome.

*EDITED from Voltage to resistance. remembered incorrectly x)

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Thanks for your help but I'm afraid im still lost.. Want to be sure about this so nothing gest broken :p

It says 46.5 mAmps using a USB cable from the first search result from you, so is this value the same for every UNO when using 5V from a USB cable?
Can it change, when always using the same Voltage, 5V?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Not necessarily. For example, if you change the clock prescaler you will cause a significant change in current.

By the way, I think there is a good chance that each of us sees different search results from Google based on our search histories.

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Not necessarily. For example, if you change the clock prescaler you will cause a significant change in current.

By the way, I think there is a good chance that each of us sees different search results from Google based on our search histories.
Thanks for the reply, but I dont have any access for that right now :/ (we're moving and everything organized in boxes, so no touchy)

(Moderator note: I hope you don't mind that I cleaned things up.)

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Captain,

Your question is like asking "I have a 12V car, how much current (how big a battery) do I need to power it?"

Let's see. If it is parked, with the key off, a tiny bit...
If the radio is on, but still parked, a bit more...
If the headlights and radio is on, but still parked, quite a lot...
While cranking the starter, a huge amount (100s of Amps)
If driving, almost nothing, because the alternator picks up the load...

Similar with the Arduino. The question should be " what is the worst case power draw if the Arduino is doing something useful, and it is not plugged into the USB (like the car's alternator)"?

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
Hi!
Some trouble ahead...

I'm using the Arduino UNO with 5V as the Voltage source, so I know the TOTAL voltage.
I need the TOTAL current to move on and as I dont have any resistors attached yet, so I can't calculate the TOTAL current of my circuit.

Very new I am indeed, and in my "math practice" in electronics I always got the resistance(*) in the entire circuit in the exercise instructions. Now I dont.
So how can I find the total current for the Arduino UNO?

Maybe the way I'm doing this is bad? Please tell me, if so :)

Thanks! Stay awesome.

*EDITED from Voltage to resistance. remembered incorrectly x)
Try measuring it with an ammeter. Every experimenter/learner or what ever you call yourself needs one.

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Captain,

Your question is like asking "I have a 12V car, how much current (how big a battery) do I need to power it?"

Let's see. If it is parked, with the key off, a tiny bit...
If the radio is on, but still parked, a bit more...
If the headlights and radio is on, but still parked, quite a lot...
While cranking the starter, a huge amount (100s of Amps)
If driving, almost nothing, because the alternator picks up the load...

Similar with the Arduino. The question should be " what is the worst case power draw if the Arduino is doing something useful, and it is not plugged into the USB (like the car's alternator)"?
Ooh I see :D Thanks a lot, Mike :D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Just a tip...a cheap meter will do for beginners. You can often find one in the range of $10 or less if you know where to look. (Does Harbor Freight exist in Sweden?)

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Just a tip...a cheap meter will do for beginners. You can often find one in the range of $10 or less if you know where to look. (Does Harbor Freight exist in Sweden?)
Nope, but I know a few nearby places with the things I need, so it's just a matter of time :3