Can't find part

tdubliture

Joined Sep 3, 2009
my dishwasher went out and from my troubleshooting i found that i have a bad transformer. the secondary loop has a short. i spent about 2 hours trying to find a direct replacement at no avail. Im just wondering if i am searching with the right terms.
the writing on the transformer says
Power transformer
model: DZ-35-105200A/P
type: WQP12-6301.D-1
Input: 1-4AC120V 60Hz
output: 6-8AC10.5V 200ma
dongguan dazhong electronic co. ltd

not sure what the 1-4 and the 6-8 mean

the way i interpret this is that it is a 120v ac to 10.5v ac power transformer capable of 200 ma. i did all kinds of searches and can't find this part. any help is very welcomed.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
my dishwasher went out and from my troubleshooting i found that i have a bad transformer. the secondary loop has a short. i spent about 2 hours trying to find a direct replacement at no avail. Im just wondering if i am searching with the right terms.
the writing on the transformer says
Power transformer
model: DZ-35-105200A/P
type: WQP12-6301.D-1
Input: 1-4AC120V 60Hz
output: 6-8AC10.5V 200ma
dongguan dazhong electronic co. ltd

not sure what the 1-4 and the 6-8 mean

the way i interpret this is that it is a 120v ac to 10.5v ac power transformer capable of 200 ma. i did all kinds of searches and can't find this part. any help is very welcomed.
Looks like you've got it right as far as 10.5 vac @ 200ma. I read the 1-4 as terminals 1 and 4, 6-8 as terminals 6 and 8 on the transformer.

Look at Digi-Key or Mouser. You may be able to just get a wall-wart and connect the output to the circuit if that's practical.

tdubliture

Joined Sep 3, 2009
Looks like you've got it right as far as 10.5 vac @ 200ma. I read the 1-4 as terminals 1 and 4, 6-8 as terminals 6 and 8 on the transformer.

Look at Digi-Key or Mouser. You may be able to just get a wall-wart and connect the output to the circuit if that's practical.
ahh terminals. nice. would i be ok to get one a little smaller or bigger? say an 11 v or 10v?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yes, within reason. Don't skimp on the amperage rating though.

One note, if it's rated at, say, 11V at 1A, it's going to have a higher voltage at your low load, maybe 13V or more at 100mA. The voltage drops under increasing load and won't fall to 11 until the rated load of 1A is reached. So that might be a question mark.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Since a transformer winding is just a single long piece of wire...

What measurement did you make to lead you to this conclusion?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I think it was doubting the OP's diagnosis of a shorted secondary. That's almost impossible on a small mains transformer.

The cause of failure is usually an open circuit mains primary, and many of them have an inbuilt thermal fuse in the primary that fails open circuit.

The secondary has very thick wire and low voltages, it runs much much cooler than the primary (so no chance of melting through the wire) and has thicker insulation and less voltage between turns (so has little to no chance of insulation failing).