Cannot get the simulation to work

write2diba

Joined Jul 19, 2015
I have been trying to build a circuit "Dancing light". I have tried it on breadboard but nothing happens.. Then I tried it in a simulation software TINA and that too doesn't work. When I am making an ERC check it says PIN 13 of 4017 not connected.I have made the schematic as shown and beside it is the circuit from which I have made it. Can anyone please tell me what's is wrong that I am doing here. I am very muc new to Practical Electronics and some help and insights will be really appreciated.

Voltage supply = 9V DC
Value of R1 to R10 = 220ohms

please help me with this
dancing light.png

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The 555 will not oscillate as pin 5 (cont) is connected to the powersupply, leave it open or connect it to ground via a 10 nF capacitor.
Also I do not see the powersupply connections of U2.

Bertus

write2diba

Joined Jul 19, 2015
Hello,

The 555 will not oscillate as pin 5 (cont) is connected to the powersupply, leave it open or connect it to ground via a 10 nF capacitor.
Also I do not see the powersupply connections of U2.

Bertus
Still I am getting the error. Check the screenshot attached..Power.png Operating Point not Found.png
By the way power supply has been given with the help of the jumper. Check it.. i am giving a screenshot of the same.

write2diba

Joined Jul 19, 2015
That circle on the left with a + sign? I assumed that is a voltage source. Am I wrong?
yes it is a voltage source. And it is DC..

And about CD4017 being connected with the power supply ::
if you look in the attachment which I have uploaded previously you will see there is a jumper. In TINA jumper should be used in this kind of ICs or Gates.. That's what manual of TINA said. but if I have done anything wrong with the jumper then I need serious help...

write2diba

Joined Jul 19, 2015
In the sim the two terminals of the supply voltage appear to be directly shorted.
I don't understand.. Can you please explain a bit more.. And can you suggest me any other simulation software so that I can try the same and see whether it's wrong with the simulation process or not.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Several on these forums use LTspice which is a free download from Linear Technology.
It's one of the best free Spice simulators available.
But you will have to download the CD4000 library from the LTspice users group.

Below is an LTspice simulation of your circuit (without the LEDs).
It appears to be working normally.
Note that the CD4017 model does not show a power or ground connection which must be added on the actual circuit. Its power supply voltage must be entered manually by right clicking on the CD4017 symbol and entering the desired voltage (5V is the default but 9V was selected for this simulation).

Dancing Lights.gif

Attachments

write2diba

Joined Jul 19, 2015
Several on these forums use LTspice which is a free download from Linear Technology.
It's one of the best free Spice simulators available.
But you will have to download the CD4000 library from the LTspice users group.

Below is an LTspice simulation of your circuit (without the LEDs).
It appears to be working normally.
Note that the CD4017 model does not show a power or ground connection which must be added on the actual circuit. Its power supply voltage must be entered manually by right clicking on the CD4017 symbol and entering the desired voltage (5V is the default but 9V was selected for this simulation).

View attachment 88830
Sir, thank you very much for replying.. I actually never used LTSpice.. I will use it then.. Can you suggest me any guides or tutorial for LTSpice.. it would be helpful...

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Sir, thank you very much for replying.. I actually never used LTSpice.. I will use it then.. Can you suggest me any guides or tutorial for LTSpice.. it would be helpful...
Go to the LTspice section in Linear Technology's website. They have some tutorials to get you started along with many sample circuits you can play with.

MrCarlos

Joined Jan 2, 2010
Hello write2diba
As far as I know all simulators have connected the polarization PIN’s for the IC’s by default. We can not see in our designs.
I do not know the -Tina- simulator. But I see that after all this time I do not use the LiveWire simulator (From: http://www.new-wave-concepts.com/) continues working.
It has its 'mistakes' as all simulators. But it is good to start.
The first thing to improve on your design is one that -bertus- mentioned to you in His message # 2 of this issue.
In message # 4 you are already made that improvement, but. . . still not working.
Well. We must analyze the data sheets 4015 to discover how much current it can provide at their outputs when a high logic level.
We can see in the attached .pdf document, on page 3: -According FAIRCHILD- Parameter: HIGH Level Output Current, IoH, indicates a typical current of -0.9 mA. when the IC is polarized: VDD = 10, Vo = 9.5 and @ 25 ° C.
The LEDs, to turn on (To light), require a typical current 20mAmp. So the IC 4017 will not turned on those LED’’s.
With LiveWire Simulator firing hardly noticeable. But. . . Probably the current provided by the 4017 in the Tina simulator is stricter than in LiveWire and therefore does not seem to light up in your simulator.
Make the design shown in Figure "On LW With driver.png"
Select a transistor that can drive an Ic (collector current) of at least 30 mAmp.
Check whether the LED now turns on in this new design.
Take a look at the attached video content in the .zip file

Attachments

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I have been trying to build a circuit "Dancing light". I have tried it on breadboard but nothing happens.. Then I tried it in a simulation software TINA and that too doesn't work. When I am making an ERC check it says PIN 13 of 4017 not connected.I have made the schematic as shown and beside it is the circuit from which I have made it. Can anyone please tell me what's is wrong that I am doing here. I am very muc new to Practical Electronics and some help and insights will be really appreciated.

Voltage supply = 9V DC
Value of R1 to R10 = 220ohms

please help me with this
View attachment 88804
Hi

See Attached.

Attachments

write2diba

Joined Jul 19, 2015
Hello write2diba
As far as I know all simulators have connected the polarization PIN’s for the IC’s by default. We can not see in our designs.
I do not know the -Tina- simulator. But I see that after all this time I do not use the LiveWire simulator (From: http://www.new-wave-concepts.com/) continues working.
It has its 'mistakes' as all simulators. But it is good to start.
The first thing to improve on your design is one that -bertus- mentioned to you in His message # 2 of this issue.
In message # 4 you are already made that improvement, but. . . still not working.
Well. We must analyze the data sheets 4015 to discover how much current it can provide at their outputs when a high logic level.
We can see in the attached .pdf document, on page 3: -According FAIRCHILD- Parameter: HIGH Level Output Current, IoH, indicates a typical current of -0.9 mA. when the IC is polarized: VDD = 10, Vo = 9.5 and @ 25 ° C.
The LEDs, to turn on (To light), require a typical current 20mAmp. So the IC 4017 will not turned on those LED’’s.
With LiveWire Simulator firing hardly noticeable. But. . . Probably the current provided by the 4017 in the Tina simulator is stricter than in LiveWire and therefore does not seem to light up in your simulator.
Make the design shown in Figure "On LW With driver.png"
Select a transistor that can drive an Ic (collector current) of at least 30 mAmp.
Check whether the LED now turns on in this new design.
Take a look at the attached video content in the .zip file

Ok sir.. I will do it then.. thank you very much... And by the way is Livewire free simulator or do I have to buy it..??

Last edited:

write2diba

Joined Jul 19, 2015
Hi

See Attached.
Hello Sir... I did and made the schematics exactly as you have described.. Can you tell me how can I see the graph... I cannot seem to find it..

And by the way about those jumpers that has been used :: I ca see there is 5v jumper used with the battery and also with the other components but what about the jumper of ground in CD4017..??
And furthermore will the circuit not work in Interactive(DC) mode ? Since when i am clicking on Start it's showing Operating point not found.

Do check the attachments..

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I'm not familiar with Livewire or Tina, but from the message box in the second image it looks like some parameters need to be set before the sim can work.