Cannot find where to procure this switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by supremekizzle, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supremekizzle

Thread Starter New Member

May 16, 2015
    Hello all. I took this switch off of a car head unit and I would like to buy the same type of switch, but don't know what keywords to use and where to buy. From what I know it is a momentary knob that is spring returned to the center. It is able to be turned left and right. Each respective way completes a circuit and the center is off. Would anybody be able to point me to a place I could buy or at least help me with the actual component description that I would use to find it? Thank you. IMG_20150503_145038.jpeg IMG_20150503_145035.jpeg

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Are you after a mechanical replacement, or just something that performs the same electrical function?

A spring-return, momentary, center-off, Single-Pole Double-Throw switch does the same thing...

An actual replacement would have to come from the company that made the unit as a "replacement part"

3. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    your better searching for the car model and make, in accessories switches, it could be a rotary two way biased centre off,

4. supremekizzle

May 16, 2015
    Preferably a mechanical replacement, if possible. Probably made for that specific radio manufacturer, but I have hope. I'm going to be mounting the knob to the dash of my car for a button-less head unit for which I'd still like a volume knob wired as a steering wheel control. I find the knob to be a more elegant solution than a throw switch. The switch pictured still works, but I was hoping to see a wider selection of styles that I may be able to incorporate an led into so it is illuminated. Another possibility is a light diffusing plastic ring, similar to that found on your ignition switch, that I could mount on the base of the switch where it penetrates the dash. If any of that makes sense...

5. supremekizzle

May 16, 2015
    It is two way center off. It's spring returned.

6. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    No, but it is enough to get the thread closed...

7. supremekizzle

May 16, 2015
    Why? I simply asked if anybody knew of a supplier or what keywords to look for a certain electrical component. Not sure why that justifies closing a thread.

8. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Google this: spring-return, momentary, center-off, rotary switch.
    Look at results for "images."
    Lots of choices, some wrong, but maybe you'll see something that has promise.

supremekizzle likes this.
  9. supremekizzle

May 16, 2015
    THANK YOU. Some promising results were yielded indeed. I just couldn't cone up with the keywords. I appreciate the help.

10. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Welcome to the AAC forum.

The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Terms of Service (ToS).

Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    Automotive modifications
    Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    LEDs to mains
    Phone jammers
    Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    Transformer-less power supplies
    Terms of Service (ToS).

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ .

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.