cannot access network shared folders

ees1

Joined Jan 7, 2008
I have three computers joining the same network via router:
two computers are desktop
one computer is IBM thinkpad laptop
all three computers are using xp professional

I set each computer certain files as shared folder, so another computer can access them.

After I create the shared folder for each computer, I found out that only two desktop can access the each shared folder between them at no problem, but both desktops cannot acess the IBM laptop. Strange thing is both desktops can see the shared folder in the network group screen. If click the laptop's shared folder, it will let me wait for long period and then give me error message. First message I remember is something about storage size or path not right.
More strangely, the laptop can access both desktop's shared folders at no problem.
I have checked the firewall at laptop not blocking the access, also many tips from website. So far I tried many ways to find out this problem, and I still have no clues.:confused:
Does any IT expert here know?

rwmoekoe

Joined Mar 1, 2007
How about the Access Control settings? Share level or user level?
The Workgroup names? Are they the same?
The IP addresses? Are they in conflict?

Hi,
I'm having the same problem, I have 2 computers 1 desktop wired to router and 1 laptop using wireless.
The Desktop has 2 shared folder, and I was able to access both folder using the laptop a while ago until recently. I still manage to access one of the folder of the Desktop but not the 2nd folder. Whenever I access the 2nd folder then to the sub-folder, I get a prompt saying: unable to access the folder (the prompt was in Traditional chinese).

I checked the workgroup name on both computer are the same.

The Internet Security sofwtare used on both computers are different, the desktop is Shield Deluxe and the laptop uses Kaspersky, could it be the internet Security software needed to be set? If yes, what needed to be set?

Freddy