CANbus design software

Martyn

Joined Oct 27, 2010
Hi Guys,

Do any of you know where i can get some design and emulation software for CANbus?

I have had a hunt around and cant seem to find anything.

Thanks

Martyn

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Automotive network software/firmware modification? Of course there are other applications. Look here.....
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en546534
Your link appears to be broken. Correct me if I'm wrong but automotive (on-vehicle) network software/firmware modification is contrary to the terms of use and as such is off limits for further discussion. I could also make an argument that industrial networks like DeviceNet should maybe be off limits for the same safety related concerns.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Your link appears to be broken. Correct me if I'm wrong but automotive (on-vehicle) network software/firmware modification is contrary to the terms of use and as such is off limits for further discussion.
CANbus have other uses outside the automotive scope. As long as the OP do not turn this into an automotive topic. I see no problem in discussing CAN in this forum.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Your link appears to be broken. Correct me if I'm wrong but automotive (on-vehicle) network software/firmware modification is contrary to the terms of use and as such is off limits for further discussion. I could also make an argument that industrial networks like DeviceNet should maybe be off limits for the same safety related concerns.
.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en546534
Here is the second attempt at pasting the link. put www in front of it. If it fails, do a Google search for "CAN BUS Analyzer Tool"

Yes, automotive topics are usually restricted due to safety concerns which is the reason I led of my first response the way I did. CAN BUS was developed by Bosch for the original purpose of automotive usage. Only later did it expand into other applications, which include industrial use.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en546534
Here is the second attempt at pasting the link. put www in front of it. If it fails, do a Google search for "CAN BUS Analyzer Tool"

Yes, automotive topics are usually restricted due to safety concerns which is the reason I led of my first response the way I did. CAN BUS was developed by Bosch for the original purpose of automotive usage. Only later did it expand into other applications, which include industrial use.
Yes, a CAN Bus Analyzer tool is useful for many purposes including troubleshooting an installation, finding faulty nodes, and commissioning devices. The OP was asking about something different which was "design and emulation software". As a CAN expert I have to confess that I don't know what such a tool would look like or what it might be used for.

For the record I see that Bill's reference to automotive software/firmware was a question and not a statement.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
As a CAN expert I have to confess that I don't know what such a tool would look like or what it might be used for.
When programming for intergration with remote devices, I often emulate the device for practical reasons. Add to that packaged code, and projects become much easier to implement.

Martyn

Joined Oct 27, 2010
the reason i was looking for this is so i could try and pay with it without actually damageing what i was plugging in to.

I have downloaded some demo programs such as Vectors CANoe but i must admit it all looks greek to me!

Is there a sort of idots guide to what CAN messages do etc?

Thanks for the help guys

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
From what point of view does the project become easier? Are we talking the development of a new node with a new device profile? Perhaps we are talking about the PLC/Scanner side where adding a new device profile may occasion some additional effort. I see the amount of effort involved in simulation/emulation as essentially equivalent to doing the work for the real device.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
the reason i was looking for this is so i could try and pay with it without actually damageing what i was plugging in to.

I have downloaded some demo programs such as Vectors CANoe but i must admit it all looks greek to me!

Is there a sort of idots guide to what CAN messages do etc?

Thanks for the help guys
The actual CAN specification is a physical and link layer specification. It specifies the format or syntax of messages on the wire. It says absolutely nothing about the semantics (meaning) of the messages.

There are other specifications like CANOpen, DeviceNet, and CAN Kingdom that add the semantic component. If you build yourself a 2-node network you can play around to your hearts content.

Have a ball, so to speak

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I see the amount of effort involved in simulation/emulation as essentially equivalent to doing the work for the real device.
and for the transport layer it's somewhat mute, however in implementing a specific protocol (Devicenet), validation must come from somewhere.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Ah yes..validation. ODVA pretty much settled that argument with the AB written conformance test software and the conformance testing lab. We bought the software but gave our customers a choice of having it "certified" at the lab or simply run against the latest conformance test software with the log file as proof. The price differential was 2:1 and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which one they preferred.

The conformance test software was a great development tool for the standard objects but fell flat on its face for anything remotely "vendor specific". In later years we mostly ignored it because our implementations were so refined we could turn new products in 9 days.