Canada Vs US Politics. The Difference.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MaxHeadRoom, Jun 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxHeadRoom

Thread Starter Expert

Jul 18, 2013
  2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Second amendment, Max.

So as it stands now, you're not supposed to carry large amounts of beer or spirits across provincial borders? Definitely un-American!

3. MaxHeadRoom

Thread Starter Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I stand corrected.
    Max.

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    You should read the text of our Second Amendment and see what you think. It can easily be read to mean that the people have a right to overthrow the government by force (i.e., armed militia), if that government gets out of hand. Some contend the right to bear arms is reserved only for militia; others contend it is also an individual right. Recently, the SCOTUS pretty much determined that the right is an individual right, BUT that right can be regulated within "reason."

So, in the US, we can change our government by:
    1) Voting
    2) Constitutional convention (called by the states)
    3) Armed militia

An unhappy state cannot simply secede.

Our previous experience with an armed militia did not end well for either side; although, the Union side did win.

John

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    To be honest, I have no idea about the legality of hauling booze around here in the states. I suspect there are restrictions that apply to commercial quantities and these rules may not be much different than the Canadian rules. It used to be you could ship wine home from California if you lived in certain states, but not others. Maybe still, but at least I can do it now in Illinois. :)

6. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Don't know about all states but I live close to the Oh, Pa border and worked with a guy that was arrested for transporting beer and liquor across the border to Ohio. For his daughters wedding. Something about the taxes were lower in Pa.

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I send wine to my children as occasional gifts and every once in awhile, I send some to myself. ;) EVERY state has its unique rules for importing spirits. I deal mostly with sellers in NY (US)and NJ(US), some can sell to OH, some cannot. Some can sell to MN, but not OH and so forth. Of course, there are also differences between distilled spirits and beer or wine. To say the rules are arcane is an understatement.

John

8. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
  9. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    I thought they were referring the right to wear tank tops or t-shirts, "bare arms".

index.jpg

shortbus likes this.
  10. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    More precisely, the right to stripe lawful ownership of arms.

I support banning guns the day thee president and his family are not protected by guns and the criminals are gun free.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Personally, I object to the government renting me the right to work after I am Certified Competent by The State. They want me to pay them fees every year for a license to do what they already declared me competent to do. I hold the same position on guns. I resent the idea that The State wants to rent me my Constitutional Rights by collecting annual fees for something that is mine in the first place.

In my opinion, If 5% of the honest citizens were armed, no terrorist would load a second magazine into his assault rifle.
    But every time some nut case shoots up the place, the government tries even harder to disarm the honest citizens while the police wait outside until the gunfire stops. It happened in Paris. It happened in Orlando.

wayneh likes this.
  12. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Professional licensing is usually advocated by the profession itself, as a barrier to entry. The government charging you to exercise your rights is different, and almost certainly intended as a deterrent and therefore illegal. They don't charge you to exercise your 1st amendment rights, and don't charge you to avoid unwarranted searches. Women are not charged to register to vote. And so on. Why is the 2nd different? How about turning it around and giving gun owners a tax deduction!

13. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    I saw something that said that legal gun owners own 200 million guns and 15 trillion rounds of ammo. If we were a problem, you would know it.

I concur.

14. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    I find it interesting how the US are completely different from where I live. Here you have no constitutional right to have weapons, and if you don´t have the license for your gun you get prison for 5+ years for unlawful possesion of arms. We have five different categories of licenses: collection, sport, hunting, occupational and personal protecion, and each group has their own limitation on the number of guns you can have, amount of ammo you can storem exams you need to take, if the guns can acutally work (the collected guns) etc.
    No full-automatic or assault rifles are allowed here ever, so all you can legally buy is things like an AK-47 with a barrel that will never ever work again as a full auto.
    And I have to say that the amount of crimes with a firearm are probably one hundredth that of the prevalence in USA. Yes USA is a huge country and it has much harder way to contorol the borders, so don´t take this as a say in pro-gun or anti-gun. Just my 50 eurocents .

Sinus23 and ronv like this.
  15. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Why make such statement when the data are freely available:
    upload_2016-6-15_19-31-57.png

As for the murders in Orlando, some media conveniently forget to point out the the shooter was vetted multiple times by the FBI and other US agencies and had worked for a major security contractor to the US government. It was not the gun that was responsible. It was the government agencies that didn't do their jobs. Sound like the failure of the TSA? That is because there is no accountability in the US government.

John

16. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Ok sorry for pulling that number out of my ***, but 1 to 5 ratio according to your graph is still a huge difference.

17. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Yes, but in crimes per gun owned, since your citizens have so few, the US is probably less than in your country. Moreover, most of the crimes in the US are perpetrated individuals with guns that are not legally owned. Making gun ownership even more difficult won't reduce the number of illegal guns.

Problem is, the hoods with illegal guns are just returned to the streets where they get another illegal gun to continue their criminal behavior.

John

18. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    There was an armed guard, but bringing a pistol to a rifle fight just doesn't work.:eek:

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I went through all the barriers to entry. I worked under somebody else's license for (at least) 4 years, I finished high school (and then some), I passed the State Competency test with a score of over 96%. Then I found out The State wants to rent me the right to work from THEM...or maybe I should say, "work FOR them". Quite a large chunk of the cash flow goes to The State if you have a license. That's why you almost can't buy a repair from a Licensed Company. There isn't enough cash flow in repairs. They have to replace the whole air conditioner and thus, turn it into a disposable product, like a paper cup or a $20 toaster, or charge $1500 for a 1/3 HP fan motor, in order to run the government treadmill fast enough to stay in business.

When my business partner activated his License, he told me, "I can't do house calls for $100 to $200 and keep up with the fees." So he gave me the repair calls. I could charge half what the Licensed businesses charge and live comfortably on work they didn't want.

I thought being generally well educated, specifically trained, and passing all the tests to prove I could do the work properly was all I had to do. Fooled me!

Then I fooled them.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  20. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    We have a cultural problem in America that's exasperated by guns. In the 90's it peaked and the crime rate is down nationally, half what it was in 1990 while the number of guns in the population has increased.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.