can you make my slow oscillator better? Schematic attached

semegraph

Joined Apr 7, 2007
schematic.gif

This circuit, as shown in schematic, seems to work pretty well, but I'm sure that there are lots of ways I could improve it's efficiency.

I'd like to avoid ICs if I can, but if you can suggest better resistor values, etc I would be very grateful for the guidance. I have one typo in the schematic, the 100K resistor is actually more like 1000K.

I have no idea what the 8Ω resistor does for it, but the circuit doesn't seem to work right without it. Any explanation for why this is would also be much appreciated.

Please excuse my crude design, I don't have any formal training in electronic design.

Last edited:

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
I'm not really good at oscillators, but this looks like as few parts as you can use to make this work. What does, "more efficient" mean to you? One less part? Faster oscillation? Using less current? And, if it did get more efficient, what would it do better?

bitrex

Joined Dec 13, 2009
The design is what you might call...unconventional. ;) Partly because there does not appear to be any DC bias path to the transistor bases, and if I'm reading the schematic correctly the capacitors are connected with the wrong polarity :eek:. At what frequency does this circuit oscillate? Maybe there's some capacitor leakage current effect going on that is supplying the bases with current. Does the circuit stop oscillating if you remove a couple of those big capacitors?