Can you identify this component?

stupid48

Joined Feb 17, 2014
Hi there...Newbie here...

I've got a Panasonic RA-6600 receiver I'm working on. I think I've identified a blown component but I can identify what it is. I've posted a picture here. The leads are cut off of course. It is marked "IR7K" on the outside. Any help wpuld be greatly appreciated...

Thanks, Chris

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I would guess a diode. I have some bullet shaped diodes. Are there three others very close to where this one was located on the board?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Also the gauge of the wire points to a diode of some kind, acts as a heats sink.
IR could be International Rectifier origin?
Max.

stupid48

Joined Feb 17, 2014
It showed some scorching underneath it so I'm going to assume it's bad.

@GopherT...Yes there are actually three others right near it....

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Any markings on the board next to the three others?

What about on the other side of the board?
For example, I have a power board of my lcd monitor out, the top side has the components, the bottom side has diode symbol where diodes are on the top side.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It showed some scorching underneath it so I'm going to assume it's bad.

Then it is a diode - 4 single diodes to make a bridge rectifier.

You can go and track down some diodes that meet the power requirements or you can buy a single bridge rectifier that can be used in place of the four diodes. They are available at RadioShack. Getting one that is oversized is usually not a problem. You will have two wires coming in from the transformer - connect those to the AC sine wave symbols. Then you will have two wires going to the two big capacitors the two caps are connected to each other and each has one leg connected to the diodes. Look for a stripe on one capacitor with - - - symbols. This goes to the (-) of the bridge rectifier. The last leg of the bridge rectifier connects to the other capacitor.

I hope that was clear.