Can You Identify These 2 Parts? (See Pics)

jwilli

Joined Apr 21, 2009
Here's what happened-

I ordered 8 cheap panel meters from China to measure DC v. Three of them work fine but the other 5 are configured for something else on the board (I think AC v). Anyway, Instead of mailing these stupid meters all the way back to China, I think it would be easier to convert the board to measure DC v myself.

So, what I did is compare one of the working meters to the non-working meters and started resoldering, etc. to make the boards match up.

The boards that are not working are missing some parts that the boards that DO work have, and I can not identify 2 of them.

One of them is shaped like a half circle with 3 leads coming off. The board labels each lead as "E", "C" and "B" and the part is labled "3198".

The other part looks like a somewhat larger resistor and the board labels it as "22mH".

Here are the pictures:

This first picture is of the 2 parts that are missing on the non-working boards.

And here is the picture of how the board labels these parts on the boards where they are missing:

I'm sure some of you could identify these from a mile away.... I'm just not sure what they are so I can go and order them myself and *hopefully* get these things working!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The inductor is correct, but it's a stretch to identifying the transistor. A 2N3198 is a 75 watt transistor, which is hard to get in TO-92.

The transistor is going to have a prefix of something like 2SC or 2SD. The 2SC3198 is somewhat likely, as it is a switch and comes in TO-92.

jwilli

Joined Apr 21, 2009
Thanks for the help! :) Got to love these forums! I knew someone would be able to spot them right off the bat...

Thanks again guys, I'll go ahead and order these parts and see what happens.

Jack_K

Joined May 13, 2009
It looks like it's labeled 22 millihenries, not 22 microhenries. That seems a more likely value for a switching circuit.

Jack

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Any TO-92 transistor with those 4 digits might be the one. A 2N2222 might work fine, for that matter. Any NPN switch will probably work. Part of the fun of guesswork.

jwilli

Joined Apr 21, 2009
Geez... I can't find anyone selling a 2SC3198, 2SD3198 or even a KTC3198 ANYWHERE! I checked out Mouser, Digikey, Newark and more...

Anyone have any suggestions?