Can you help me find a benchtop power supply?

judoGTI

Joined May 26, 2005
Hello!

First off I am an extreme electronics noob. I tinker here and there and just like to play, but you will have to forgive any vocab errors, etc.. that I make in this post.

I'm working on building one of these:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-cutter-start-slicing-stuff-for-under-50-dol/

And I need to get a benchtop power supply. Everything else I have done in the past has either been solar powered or battery powered, so I know NOTHING about these things.

Is this the proper forum to ask for help in finding one of these?

Here are the things I think I need/want in one of these:

1) dual-power outputs. So I can run one wire at 12v and a second line at 3v. Is that possible? Or will I need two power supplies?

2) Fairly affordable. I do projects like this maybe 4-5 times a year so it wont be super critical that its the best, or most durable, etc... I just want something that will help me with my hobby.

3) Online or brick-n-mortor store doesnt matter to me. I can wait a week for it to get here if it saves me a lot of money.

4) Anything else I need to know, handy to know or should look out for is all appreciated. Like I said this is my first one.

I appreciate the input!

Brian

judoGTI

Joined May 26, 2005
Ahhh! Ebay, good idea, I dont know why that passed my brain.

Is current controllable? I have to double check, but I think one part of that project requests 12v @ 550 mA But I could be way way off, Ill have to double check real quick.

Thanks for the reply.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
You're welcome for the reply, I hope it all goes well with you.

I don't think ATX supplies are current limited. It really depends on what you're driving with the 12V, since some times are happy with the extra current whilst others may be destroyed by it.

Steve