Can you guys recommend an intro project for logic analysis?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Steve C, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Steve C

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Hi guys, I'm TOTALLY new to logic analyzation but need to learn it for a specific LCD interface project I have in mind. But because it is way beyond my current capabilities, I need to take some baby steps first. My experience is all in straight I/O, analog and digital. Never in locig communication.

So! I need a good introduction to the subject.

I built myself this:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jwasys/old/diy2.html

As a starter toy to play with. Now I need ot hook it up to something to start learning how to read communication streams and start to figure out the communication, and most importantly how I can start to record datastreams into a microcontroller and manipulate the data.

In short, I need a VERY simple protocol to start with.

I was thinking about starting with the iPod remote protocol. If I can find a cheap remote I can put the oversimplified logic analyzer in there and see what I can get. I think the communication lines are only a byte or a few bytes, and there is tons of documentation online to help me translate what I would be seeing if I successfully read data.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for easily available household devices that might be even simpler as a good method to start learning about logical communication and logic analysis?

2. steinar96

Apr 18, 2009
    If you really want to go into logic circuitry you need a good book on digital circuit design/boolean algebra.