Can you explain what is happening here

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Uyet123, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Uyet123

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Hi, I am playing around with some circuit and I came across something confusing here is the circuit:
    New_Picture.jpg

So here, I have two registers, initial state they are both storing 0. I input 5 and then R1 stores the 5 and R2 stores 0 which was stored inside R1 previously. Then I input 7 and you see the result from the image above. My question is why is the second register storing the previously stored number from the first register, shouldn't they store the same thing every clock cycle. Why is the current number not going through the second register?Can you explain to me what is happening here?

2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Are the bits being sent in lsb or msb first.

3. tonyStewart

May 8, 2012
    Serial ? Parallel ? Edge triggered? or Enable Output or both?

SISO? SIPO? PISO? PIPO?

S= serial, P = Parallel I= input , O= Output

The details are lacking.

What chip are you emulating?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Looks parallel to me.

There is a one clock delay between the outputs of the first and second register. On the next clock, the output of the second will be 7.

5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I suspect you are correct.

Wouldn't it be nice if people would provide the relevant information? Oh well, that's all part of the learning process.

6. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    On the one hand, to the OP's credit, he did say 'register' and not flip-flop.
    On the other hand, I suppose it'd be ok to call a flip-flop a 1 bit register.
    But back to the first hand, his bus was clearly labeled as holding 8 bits of data concurrently.
    But on the other, his blocks show the standard symbol for a 1 bit D flip-flop.
    And, regarding the first hand, his text does indirectly indicate a full 8 bit transfer in one clock.
    But, on the other hand, "indirectly"... :D

7. Uyet123

Jan 25, 2015
    I am beginner so I don't know about serial parallel or what not, I am using an 8 bit register (that is what it looks like in logisim). You were saying there is a clock delay but how is it delayed exactly when the same clock is attached to both registers.?

Sorry for late reply.

8. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    This is a homework problem. Throw away logisim, and try to understand how clocked logic works for yourself.

You can do this with pencil and paper (and a gate level logic diagram of a single bit flip-flop).

9. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Think of it like a hallway with multiple doors that all open at the same time and stay open just long enough for one person to just step through. So if you are standing before the first door when it opens you are only able to get through that door (and not through the next door) before the doors close. You are now trapped between the doors until they open again, at which point you can get through the next door, but no more. So each time the doors open you are able to advance down the hallway exactly one door's worth. That is how the register delays work. It takes a certain amount of time for the data at the input to appear at the output and by then the clock input of the next register has already been asserted long enough so that it is no longer sensitive to changes at its data input.

Uyet123 likes this.
  10. Uyet123

Jan 25, 2015
    Okay, that makes sense. I was thinking the inputs are just chilling in the wire in front of the registers and gets in once the clock is high :)

11. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    FYI, there is a logic block called a 'latch' the performs the way you had presumed.

12. tonyStewart

May 8, 2012
    In sequential logic when the clock edge is sync'd on all registers, it is shifted from one register to the next after successive clock edge loads.
    Thus the next registers stores what the input register had just before they all change at the same time.

Details get into terms like setup time, hold time relative to clock. But this is how all serial 1 bit or n-bit wide parallel registers work in Synchronous fashion.

Uyet123 likes this.