Can we made TV antenna from PCB line etching?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mangyver5223, Nov 2, 2011.

1. mangyver5223

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hi, I have my own idea for changing the 2-pole antenna with PCB-etched line antena.

As we know the height and length of antenna affect the signal reception (through equation C=f x λ) , my intention was to change the metal stick antenna to PCB etched line since I assume the PCB-etched line as substitute for antenna metal stick.Will it works just like normal antenna by ignoring the height factor? Because I saw that the old radio has long wired antenna but they wound it so it won't be messy :confused:

Nov 30, 2010
    I was talking about this yesterday because I learned someting about fractile antennas. They are used in cell phones to make a Ghz range, wide band receiving antenna about the size of a coin.

I would be so interested in a broadcast band fractile antenna (~50 Mhz to 900 Mhz) with about 9 db of gain, about the size of my shoe, and retailing for $12 U.S. Due to local conditions, I would need a place to tie in another directional antenna (channel 10 yagi or fractile yagi replacement) and a place to attach the down lead, preferably 75 ohm coax cable.

Unfortunately, I am so incompetent in that field that I can't even spell fractile!

Anybody have answers?
  3. bertus

Apr 5, 2008
  4. snav

Aug 1, 2011
    It's already been done. Wingard came out with their version about 15 yr ago.

It works well at UHF and with the matching preamp decently on vhf-hi(7-13)

I wouldn't recommend it for V-lo unless the signal is so strong rabbit ears would work.

Nov 30, 2010
    Typical MBA engineering. Look, a breakthrough in antenna design. This could make all the sheet metal designs obsolete if we just reduce its size until it doesn't work without a pre-amp, and doesn't work on some channels, even WITH a pre-amp.
  6. toninph

Dec 10, 2010
    Google for "fractal antenna". There's lots of info.
    mangyver5223 likes this.