can we have a chemistry forum thread?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I think it's a great idea. One of my passions is trying to present a coherent view of our universe. We need to step outside of the electronics lab once in a while....poke around the machine shop, the physics lab...the chemistry lab....maybe even, perish the thought, the art studio. :)[

eric

Rajit28

Joined Oct 21, 2008
Thank you Rajit for coming back,

all too often we see a question posted then the originator never comes back to tell us how she got on with our answers.
is that really true. i thought everyone checks their

response once in a while.:cool:

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Or maybe a over-unity energy part of the forum?, so that all the crazy talk can be discussed there, instead of being mixed with legitimate discussion..

Steve

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Or maybe a over-unity energy part of the forum?, so that all the crazy talk can be discussed there, instead of being mixed with legitimate discussion..

Steve
The moderators are in the habit of moving any violations of the Laws of Thermodynamics into the "Off Topic" forum. If we had a separate forum for over-unity, we'd also need a separate forum for wizards & elves, one for space opera, and another for werewolves & vampires.

Rajit28

Joined Oct 21, 2008
i did not know my request created such a huge discussion.:cool:

although good. i was thinking it would be a quick choice.

either we get a new forum or no. i don't mean to be rude.:cool:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I agree. Let's get off the pot, so to speak, and make a decision.

We have:

Math -- the mother science
Physics -- interactions of matter

We don't have:

Chemistry -- combinations of matter

On a lark, I searched Yahoo Groups for chemistry and got 8174 hits for discussion groups. Of the first 100, most had to do with interpersonal relationships or were non-English sites. There was one site for Clinical Chemistry. I agree most strongly that anything to do with bombs, illegal drugs, or other illicit activity must be deleted.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I agree. Let's get off the pot, so to speak, and make a decision.
John, I think from the opinions put across here I think the decision is that there is scope for a general science forum, but not specific sciences such as Chemistry - questions about interest, and where do we stop, mean that the general science option is a good catch all.

As for forum names I have the following as options (and am interested in comments):

1. General Science
2. General Science Chat or Discussion
3. General Science and Engineering Chat or Discussion
4. General Science Interest

Feel free to throw others into the mix.

I have ear-marked several existing threads that I will pull across to the new forum.

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I like "General Science" as a name. It would fit nicely in the section with Math and Physics.

The additional words, "chat," "discussion," and "interest" don't seem to add much. In other words, I think the purpose will be obvious, just as the areas for physics and math are not called math chat, etc.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I like "General Science" as a name. It would fit nicely in the section with Math and Physics.

The additional words, "chat," "discussion," and "interest" don't seem to add much. In other words, I think the purpose will be obvious, just as the areas for physics and math are not called math chat, etc.

John
The "Chat" part was something I thought of because we have the General Electronics Chat forum.

Thanks for your input John.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The forum has gone live as General Science. The descriptions is pretty unclear at the moment and I am still deciding on what needs to go where.

Comments welcome as always.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Sorry, couldn't help meself. The Devel made me do it

I've noticed some of quiet changes, and like them. The expanded PM section is really nice.